UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Picked the car up today

Old 10-27-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear, hope you manage to sort quickly

FYI iPhone back about £5 and doddle to change
Old 10-27-2013, 01:01 PM

If I'd have known it would cost me this much I'd have bought a newer car. Oh well. I'll call the engine people tomorrow and see what the score is,

Anyone want an f20c coffee table??
Old 10-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Sorry to hear your story chap as a new owner of an s it makes you realise what could have happened.

I can't offer any help other than if you need any legal advice let me know as a good friend of mine is a solicitor and his wife is a barrister so may be able to get some insight in to your legal position not gained from Wikipedia, and at no cost.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:13 PM

I think unless I can prove he used any sort of additive in the oil to stop the knocking as people have suggested and go down that route there is nothing I can do unfortunately. And as said. No point getting involved in any confrontation, as it won't achieve anything and with my job I have to behave.
The oil light came on when I hit the motorway so not sure if there is anything he could have done to suppress that problem.

I'm glad I hadn't decided to use the £2k I made making the switch on anything exciting. At least it was just savings so I'm not overly disappointed.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:17 PM

Sorry to hear what has happened and hope you get a new engine fitted soon, so that you can start enjoying your S to the full.

Unfortunately, there is no redress to the seller, as it is his word that he did not know there were any problems with the engine, as it is that the seller could easily say that you abused the engine or over-revved the engine (changing down and hitting over 9k revs)in the 10 miles that you owned it.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Theheff
If I'd have known it would cost me this much I'd have bought a newer car. Oh well. I'll call the engine people tomorrow and see what the score is,

Anyone want an f20c coffee table??
You could have been just as unlucky with a newer one mate. Honestly I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. It's pure dumb luck.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Anyways, how about the coffee table. Any takers?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I the only one thinking, why didn't you get straight on the phone to the seller??

I know if I had sold you that car as a good running car I would be totally gutted to hear it blew up!! If it was only ten minutes down the road I would come get the car back and refund you your money! A car like the s2000 is probably 7 out of 10 times owned by an enthusiast and bought by enthusiasts so hopefully the chances of someone ripping you off is slim.

I would seriously be giving the seller a ring and explaining what happened!

Or maybe I'm too nice and a bit naive?!?

Best of luck and hope it all gets sorted out for you!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:51 PM

I thought about it and I've sent him a text mate but as correctly written on here, conscience aside, he has no liability at all. Unless it is something he has covered up which I May or may not be able to prove.

If it's a case that he hasn't checked his phone he might get back to me tomorrow. Or g may ignore it which as far as I'm concerned means he knew. Proven he knew is a completely different matter though

I am like you though mate, I couldn't just ignore it if it was a car I'd sold. Not everyone is like that though unfortunately and he can and may stick to his rights as a private seller.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Just dont rush into getting a replacement engine in and end up paying through the nose for a shite job. Me personally i would source the engine myself and get someone like TGM motorsport to put it in for me.

Tom is trust worthy and he will do a good job, very reasonably priced too. You want someone who loves these cars to do it and know the ins and outs.

Quick Reply: Picked the car up today