UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Picked the car up today

Old 10-27-2013, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand if the oil light comes on then its probably too late anyway. The oil level can drop well below the X's on the dip and not trip the oil light from what i've seen. Whether or not it would result in what you have shown though I couldn't say.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:52 AM

Contact the seller and tell him you are coming back for a full cash refund (+ expenses) tomorrow.

You'll give him the keys and he can collect the car himself.

Oh and don't post the V5!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:53 AM

It's an oil pressure warning light not an oil level light. If it illuminates when the engine is running damage has been done already.

Sorry to hear if this. I would tow it straight back to where I'd bought it from.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil pump not working at a guess.

You don't get consumer rights if you buy privately. You could probably sue the seller, but you'd have to prove he knew about the fault. If it wasn't knocking before and the light wasn't on, he might genuinely not have known and it's just very bad luck.

Does the warranty really only cover £1000? What a waste of time that is. From experience, Honda will want £8000 for a new block (I never asked if that included fitting or VAT).

Sounds like a nightmare. But I think you're not the first around here.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:05 AM

You do have some rights, not sure about if the engine fails 10 miles down the road.

I bought a car privately recently that turned out to have mileage discrepancies (miles didnt tally with service records - I phoned the garages up) and I phoned trading standards and they were very good explaining the situation but did ask me to contact the owner first to see if they would take the car back which they did but TS told me that i was entitled to take it further as the car wasnt as described in the advert (in this instance).

Me, i'd contact the owner (would have when it happened) and see what he says then phone Trading Standards, see what they say.

Good luck with it. Everyones worst nightmare but im not sure how the seller would have known it would happen.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Sorry about this Heff dam shame

Just a thought , have a drop of the oil checked , it might just prove that it has been doctored to make the sale , and then surely that would br fruad irrespective of how the car was sold.

I bet it was previously run low, knocked , doctored for the sale , just like the Astra mentioned previously.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo
You don't get consumer rights if you buy privately........
I stand corrected.

There may be a situation that you can use a play on words to get trading standards involved see here
Old 10-27-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by surfer_crx
You still have consumer rights whether the sale was private or not and if you had done less than 10 miles before it started to knock then the previous owner will have known that this was likely to happen. I bought an Astra a few years ago and the guy had put super thick oil in it and moly grease to hide the knock. I made the 80mile trip home and a few days later it started to knock. Lucky for me it was an Astra and they are cheap as chips to get parts for but I'm afraid this engine is dead. You are talking a couple of grand to sort it out properly so I would definitely be paying the seller a visit.
Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Contact the seller and tell him you are coming back for a full cash refund (+ expenses) tomorrow.

You'll give him the keys and he can collect the car himself.

Oh and don't post the V5!
Sorry guys you have sod all rights in a private sale. Buyer beware.

Unless you could prove the seller knew of a fault and didn't disclose it, and even then it would be a civil case that the best you could hope for is paying their travel expenses to court for while they outline they have no disposable income with which to pay off the debt and then maybe you can get a collection agency to take their TV.

Your only options are a replacement engine at your own expense or to part the car out at a substantial loss.

I doubt the warranty company will entertain any claim. Regardless of their max claim not covering an engine They would probably turn up a logged over rev or blame it on letting the oil run low.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 AM

I've text the bloke who has so far failed to get back to me. As far as I'm concerned now, he knew. If I'd sold a car and got a message like that I'd be straight on the phone trying to sort stuff out, certainly not ignoring it.

I had it picked up by the AA through honda care, 15 minutes from calling to them arriving and taken to the local honda garage. Not sure if ill get much from the oil as most of it is over the A120.

Yeah £1000 is the limit on the warranty that honda offer, not bad on a 11 year old car really and I didn't pay for the warranty, it's just with the car. Haven't had it grandpas freed to me yet either. With it being Sunday and only having it 30 minutes.

He has the v5 as it's up to him to send it off.

I don't think from reading this http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0003-1011.txt that I have a leg to stand on. Unless I can prove the oil has been doctored but even if it had does that prove fraud.

This is the ebay ad for the car http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1611217431...84.m1438.l2649 makes no mention of any issues with the engine but also says nothing about it being a good runner

I also broke the rear of my iphone today. Shit day all round really, at least tottenham won though.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:13 AM

So where is the best place to get an engine fitted? Or if I can hire a crane how easy is it to do?

Quick Reply: Picked the car up today