UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Petronas v Castrol Edge v Millers Nanodrive, dyno results

Old 08-11-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
Originally Posted by s2konroids' timestamp='1376235889' post='22718162
Ah okay, so a slight difference in the test we are comparing a fully synthetic to a semi synthetic.

I just don't want to run a semi in my car, i know you do but think I'd more comfortable running a fully synthetic.

I'll throw this in...

What i will say was my car did 176k miles predominantly on castrol edge 5w40 and it was supercharged for 50k of that and i sold the car a couple of weeks ago and it was running sweet as a nut.

I'm all for saying overpriced mugen is shit compared to other LOL, so i give an unbiased opinion.
Its FULLY synthetic Aj, read the link I posted
Yeah i see you did a sneaky edit
Old 08-11-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Originally Posted by s2k_Nut' timestamp='1376235966' post='22718166
[quote name='s2konroids' timestamp='1376235889' post='22718162']
Ah okay, so a slight difference in the test we are comparing a fully synthetic to a semi synthetic.

I just don't want to run a semi in my car, i know you do but think I'd more comfortable running a fully synthetic.

I'll throw this in...

What i will say was my car did 176k miles predominantly on castrol edge 5w40 and it was supercharged for 50k of that and i sold the car a couple of weeks ago and it was running sweet as a nut.

I'm all for saying overpriced mugen is shit compared to other LOL, so i give an unbiased opinion.
Its FULLY synthetic Aj, read the link I posted
Yeah i see you did a sneaky edit
[/quote]

Who me?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:08 AM

Well ive just bought some from your link above.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Man I hope you got it at a good price, I got it 2x4ltrs at £17.70 per 4 ltrs!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
Originally Posted by s2konroids' timestamp='1376237292' post='22718191
Man I hope you got it at a good price, I got it 2x4ltrs at £17.70 per 4 ltrs!
yeah used your link! ha
Old 08-11-2013, 09:40 AM

I can't argue with si2k's technical observations

but what Ray has done means he knows WHAT HIS OWN CAR responds best to and that information is priceless. 238 bhp for a 13 year old car ain't bad at all.

we don't have the luxury to test the raw engine under strict variables. We leave that to Honda lol

I have used many oils in the F20 and I know what I prefer, even though others may disagree

so Ray, top job! your car VTECs like sh*t with castrol in it lol

maybe get Ang's car on the Dyno now?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:51 AM

That formulation is being replaced in 6 months anyway.

I still think whatever is causing it won't be evident on the road. I've not seen that dip on other dyno plots either

Fresh oil is probably giving off hydrogen sulphide as the ZDDP intially decomposes and forms zinc phosphate layers on the metal. This could be a reason for pre ignition and timing reducing in a very hot environment, inlet temp sensor readings are very high on dynos. . Remember this oil meets VW 505 01 which needs very good anti wear to stop Camshafts eating themselves in VW pumpe duse Diesel engines. Potentially a fresh oil only effect
Old 08-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Si2k
That formulation is being replaced in 6 months anyway.

I still think whatever is causing it won't be evident on the road. I've not seen that dip on other dyno plots either

Fresh oil is probably giving off hydrogen sulphide as the ZDDP intially decomposes and forms zinc phosphate layers on the metal. This could be a reason for pre ignition and timing reducing in a very hot environment, inlet temp sensor readings are very high on dynos. . Remember this oil meets VW 505 01 which needs very good anti wear to stop Camshafts eating themselves in VW pumpe duse Diesel engines. Potentially a fresh oil only effect
That's virtually word for word how Ron put it yesterday, except the bit about VW
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bkz187
I can't argue with si2k's technical observations

but what Ray has done means he knows WHAT HIS OWN CAR responds best to and that information is priceless. 238 bhp for a 13 year old car ain't bad at all.

we don't have the luxury to test the raw engine under strict variables. We leave that to Honda lol

I have used many oils in the F20 and I know what I prefer, even though others may disagree

so Ray, top job! your car VTECs like sh*t with castrol in it lol

maybe get Ang's car on the Dyno now?
The car was tested in REAL world conditions the same that it will always be in as soon as it leaves Honda,
Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless I'm mistaken, Rays' S is one of the very first JDM Imports to the UK

As the earliest S2000 ECU version, it was designed to not only provide inverse reactive current for use in unilateral VTEC phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters (ie operating at low revs)

The original JDM VTEC system had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings ran in a direct line with the panametric fan.

Early F20C was also rated at 250PS for JDM cars, thanks to higher compression ratio. This was achieved simply using four hydrocoptic marzul vanes so fitted to the ambaphascient lunar wain shaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented at VTEC.

The original VTEC winding was of the normal lotus-odeltoid type placed in panendurmic semi-bulloid slots of the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible tremmy pipe to the differential girdle spring on the up-end of the dingle arms to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

Looks like this sinsoidal depleneration is occurring at VTEC, effectively increasing longitudinal side fumbling beyond the control of the reciprocating dingle arms; albeit only with Castrol Edge?

So, I guess we're non the wiser...
(But thanks for reading)

Quick Reply: Petronas v Castrol Edge v Millers Nanodrive, dyno results