UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Petronas v Castrol Edge v Millers Nanodrive, dyno results

Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Si2k
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1376314247' post='22719509
You only have to look at F1 teams to see how complex bench testing can produce differing 'real world' results.
We struggle to get 5hp in a F1 engine within grade let alone a S2000!

My point about real world is probably a bit misleading as I went off on a tangent. My point about real world was that dynos have massive heatsoak issues, even with loads of fans. The inlet temp sensor will be reading very high affecting ignition.

The syntium really needs to be repeated on fresh oil- as i said earlier, shearing and fuel dilution will have dropped it's viscosity. The cam gears and high piston speeds of the F20 mean it really rips the polymers in the oil apart. Probably goes to around 11cst from 14 fresh

That's why that engine used to consume Edge after about 4k miles.

I think the Syntium was more of a control test. Ray had no idea of what to expect. TBH, I was expecting them all to be within dyno error.

The consistency was pretty good actually. All runs on the specific oil type were within <2bhp.

THing is, I'll have to trick Ray and borrow his car. He said he couldn't stand the noise of it on the dyno! I mean it was only revving upto 9500
Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Just to clarify in-case someone missed,

I usually run Castrol products and have done for years, had a spell with Silkolene (my old boss insisted we used them as they use to have Concorde on the can ) I put Petronas in Ange's and my S2000 last year as the oil and filter deal with Si from Hendy was to good to miss , we were due our annual change this year and I got a good deal from a local trader for the Edge after seeing the reviews on here, then a rep came in the garage saw the Edge and offered me the Nano to try this is when I got to thinking that most oil advise was based purely on I've always used that oil or coz Fred says so or price, Now I've being around this game for a long time and know that if you stick to the correct spec and change regular then brand doesn't matter.

So I thought I would just check out of curiosity and as said before Expected there to little difference, mainly to check, the cheaper Petronas plus a can of Wynns (which I have used at every oil change in every car I have owned) was no worse than the usual Edge and the new kid on the block Nano, I never expected nor did the tuner a dip at Vtec which is why we did six runs on the Edge and Nano AS this is the amount of runs we did on the Petronas to check for consistency on the rollers, so the run for each oil was identical and all runs for each oil were within +/- 2 bhp peak the difference on paper in the Vtec cycle looks a lot but would it be noticeable on the road as the rest on all oils is pretty much the same as we expected, When I rang Ron and told him the results he was of the same opinion as me "Don't post" something's not right, so after he checked the sheets and could see the consistency of the runs and sleeping on it for a couple of days I decide to see if anyone else had any idea (not as an oil bashing thread or a should or shouldn't use this or that oil, as it is at the moment there's very little difference just the Vtec dip)

As Si hinted on MB's racing thread last week and again in this thread Castrol have something in the Pipeline
so I for one will be very interested in this, as I have said above I have used Castrol for years from when Castrol R was the in thing (Hmm heaven) to GTX taking over and all the little goody's they used to give away

Name:  2013-08-12124714_zpsd1522020.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  577.5 KB
Old 08-12-2013, 01:02 PM

This is why I love posts about oil and why I said I find it fascinating that something that looks identical and is the same spec can offer such difference in performance. Everyone took the piss when I said I was all ears to listen to Si's knowledge.

I read the dyno charts and just couldn't get my head around the big dip in the chart at VTEC engagement with one oil and not the other.

Keep them coming Ray
Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Deadly Aura
This is why I love posts about oil and why I said I find it fascinating that something that looks identical and is the same spec can offer such difference in performance. Everyone took the piss when I said I was all ears to listen to Si's knowledge.

I read the dyno charts and just couldn't get my head around the big dip in the chart at VTEC engagement with one oil and not the other.

Keep them coming Ray
I wouldn't go so far as to say I love posts about oil dude. It's interesting but not *that* interesting!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

I've read some of the posts here several times to try to understand the technical bits, some of it has sunk in, but at the end of the day it was a non scientific test, hardly lab controlled conditions but at least Dave tried something and shared it with us, it has created discussion and that is good, this may provide answers at some point in the future.
Thanks for your efforts Dave and keep us up to date of any future tests.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by martin j
I've read some of the posts here several times to try to understand the technical bits, some of it has sunk in, but at the end of the day it was a non scientific test, hardly lab controlled conditions but at least Dave tried something and shared it with us, it has created discussion and that is good, this may provide answers at some point in the future.
Thanks for your efforts Dave and keep us up to date of any future tests.
That's the whole point it's a real world check, warm the engine drop the oil allow to drain change filter and add new oil the same way we all do, so the results show exactly how my car reacted to a normal oil change, doesn't mean everyone's will react the same, many many things are tested on cars in a lab then fail when subjected to real world running, but because it's tested in a lab must mean it's right? how many things fail on the S2000 but were all tested before hand,
Old 08-12-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ha lab testing ain't perfect dude. Probably worse in some cases as you miss critical real world factors. No matter the design of experiment you tend to over look or experience something you didn't expect.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by sound_wave
Originally Posted by Deadly Aura

Keep them coming Ray
I wouldn't go so far as to say I love posts about oil dude. It's interesting but not *that* interesting!
I thought I'd got away with it, maybe it's just me then. Come on you can admit you are entrigued come on! Haha
Old 08-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mtunreal
Ha lab testing ain't perfect dude. Probably worse in some cases as you miss critical real world factors. No matter the design of experiment you tend to over look or experience something you didn't expect.
A test, by definition, is a set of input values, execution preconditions, expected results and execution postconditions, developed for a particular objective or test condition, such as to verify compliance with a specific requirement. If planned and executed well (often costing £££££) add real value.

Don't confuse a lab test with a test based on neutral conditions. Many lab tests are specifically designed to replicate real world situations and edge cases. The OPs test did not, and does not claim to. It is merely indicative at best, but certainly an interesting observation that has encouraged much debate.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
Originally Posted by mtunreal' timestamp='1376346843' post='22720739
A test, by definition, is a set of input values, execution preconditions, expected results and execution postconditions, developed for a particular objective or test condition, such as to verify compliance with a specific requirement. If planned and executed well (often costing £££££) add real value.

Don't confuse a lab test with a test based on neutral conditions. Many lab tests are specifically designed to replicate real world situations and edge cases. The OPs test did not, and does not claim to. It is merely indicative at best, but certainly an interesting observation that has encouraged much debate.
I'll remember that when I go to work in the morning. Lol

Quick Reply: Petronas v Castrol Edge v Millers Nanodrive, dyno results