UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Petronas v Castrol Edge v Millers Nanodrive, dyno results

Old 08-12-2013, 04:06 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by BenRNBP' timestamp='1376301279' post='22719257
Could it be TCT related ? Doesn't the oil feed for that sit pretty close to the Vtec solenoid ? I'm thinking a slight change in the cam timing due to the TCT becoming unloaded/loaded when the vtec valve opens ?
No. Doesn't matter how slack the timing chain is, the distance traveled will be the same so timing will be the same. The TCT doesn't shorten the chain length
Ah, worth a shot anyway
Old 08-12-2013, 04:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that any sort of test is a start and great that someone has taken the time to look into it. Thanks to Ray for taking time to perform the test and for everyone's input, insightful.

TBH though Si2k it’s a public forum, who knows which people are professional/comedian/race driver/mechanic etc. Even when someone tells you they are professional in the field, you don't have to believe what they are saying. Kwik fit are a supposedly a professional company, but I wouldn't trust their opinion.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
Unlike yourself and Si who ONLY endorse Castrol oil and of course you both work for them in some guise or other, however there are many oils out there which are more than suitable for the S2000 and as Rays test shows perhaps more suitable than Castrol Edge for our car. Personally I have only ever used Edge at one oil change, I didn't like it not based on anything scientific it just didn't feel right to me so have never used it since. I have used Millers and loved it the car seemed more 'refreshed, responsive' to me but it's damn expensive to buy. I am going to give the Petronas a try too, it's fully synthetic and appears to have a lot of OEM endorsements which Si has suggested is one of Edge' main advantages over other oils, so it should be good ... it is also thin and remains thin according to its specification, but I am not a boffin I don't understand the complexities ... I just want good oil that works well with the car and value for money ... I believe I don't get either of those things from Castrol Edge.
I dont endorse anything. I purely add technical comments which it appears there is a hunger for in this forum. I provide this as I am a 'boffin' who knows far too much about engine oils as without sounding like too much of a dick - I do this for a living and know more than anyone in the world about Edge oils. YOu point is correct, any oil will do. Just like any tyre will do for a car.

I would love to share all the comparative data we have but I can't. There is certainly nothing to hide - quite the opposite, you may notice that people comments some oils do burn less. An oil with less oil consumption (and clean burning deposits) will cause less piston deposits. Overtime its these long term problems that cause you issues (eg Bore scuffing and engine failure from stuck rings due to crap oil).

Its hard to show long term benefits though as people only focus on the short term findings. I'm telling you, if you want a refreshed' perky feeling engine. Use diesel as an oil - that will free up some ponies
Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by mtunreal
I think that any sort of test is a start and great that someone has taken the time to look into it. Thanks to Ray for taking time to perform the test and for everyone's input, insightful.

TBH though Si2k it’s a public forum, who knows which people are professional/comedian/race driver/mechanic etc. Even when someone tells you they are professional in the field, you don't have to believe what they are saying. Kwik fit are a supposedly a professional company, but I wouldn't trust their opinion.
This test isn't a 'start' for engine testing. With respect, you (and many others) have no idea what testing is involving in getting approvals, for something with many OEM specs we are talking about $3m of engine test spend.

All of the approval tests we run are on fully controlled engine dynos, where many factors are controlled to ultimate precision including air humidity, ambient pressure and fuel temperature. I often then visit the OEM to look at the engine with the engine engineers - it will need more that this test in this thread to convince me of any real world affect on VTEC shift from changing oils.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000
Even so, if there was any crud on the engine then changing the oil a couple of times and running it through is tantamount to a flush in practical terms.
No, because any crap will be filtered by the filter. Oil is not engine flush either.

And like I said, the edge was changed before the Nanodrive but after the Petronas. The petronas and Nanodrive gave very similar results. So if your flush theory was to hold water, edge should have performed better than petronas which it didn't.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 AM

Flushing is good practice to reduce carry over effect. 10% of the old oil will remain so a flushing run helps ensure your not testing a mix of oil.

As I said previously It would have been interesting to see fresh syntium as these are interesting findings.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000
Even so, if there was any crud on the engine then changing the oil a couple of times and running it through is tantamount to a flush in practical terms. I'd be interested to see if you put Castrol Edge back in now whether there would be the same difference.

I'm tempted to get mine dynoed before and after with castrol and then Millers Nanodrive. We need to repeat the results before any real conclusion can be drawn really - good work though in posting these results
Millers will probably give you power - its been formulated too.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Si2k
All of the approval tests we run are on fully controlled engine dynos, where many factors are controlled to ultimate precision including air humidity, ambient pressure and fuel temperature.
Si, i'm not trying to beat you up here and I do feel privileged to have your expertise to draw on.

However, your above quote isn't very real world. I no real world situation are the factors that finely controlled.

I completely understand that to achieve OEM specs the testing is exhaustive and expensive.

However, this car and many others, aren't OEM. They aren't new engines and they don't drive round at precisely 1ATM of 'air'.

The test (and it was a test) represented a 'real world' scenario.

You only have to look at F1 teams to see how complex bench testing can produce differing 'real world' results.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Si2k
Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000' timestamp='1376308413' post='22719359
Even so, if there was any crud on the engine then changing the oil a couple of times and running it through is tantamount to a flush in practical terms. I'd be interested to see if you put Castrol Edge back in now whether there would be the same difference.

I'm tempted to get mine dynoed before and after with castrol and then Millers Nanodrive. We need to repeat the results before any real conclusion can be drawn really - good work though in posting these results
Millers will probably give you power - its been formulated too.
Like Ron I am not trying to beat you up either Si, but I think you understand that, and it's great to have your technical view. Here is my issue with your statement above, it's not that Millers will give you power but that Edge will reduce power that is the concern here no ?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
You only have to look at F1 teams to see how complex bench testing can produce differing 'real world' results.
We struggle to get 5hp in a F1 engine within grade let alone a S2000!

My point about real world is probably a bit misleading as I went off on a tangent. My point about real world was that dynos have massive heatsoak issues, even with loads of fans. The inlet temp sensor will be reading very high affecting ignition.

The syntium really needs to be repeated on fresh oil- as i said earlier, shearing and fuel dilution will have dropped it's viscosity. The cam gears and high piston speeds of the F20 mean it really rips the polymers in the oil apart. Probably goes to around 11cst from 14 fresh

Quick Reply: Petronas v Castrol Edge v Millers Nanodrive, dyno results