UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Personal Plate Transfer Question

Old 10-31-2005, 02:40 AM
Eni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Personal Plate Transfer Question

I have found an S that I am going to buy! WOOT!

Only one issue I am not sure how to deal with is that it currently has a personal plate on it that needs transfering off the car and the original one back on.

Can this be done at the same time as buing the car? Register change with DVLA and change the reg details on the V5 and the owner details at the same time?
Or does the car have to be fully transfered back to normal Reg get the new V5 issued and then get the owner details changed after?

I have no idea, as have never dealt with a personal plate before!

Anyone have a clue?

Also wheres the best place to check to ensure that a warranty is still valid..(ie. check its not been invalidated, rather than expired).

Cheers!
Old 10-31-2005, 02:50 AM

You have to get the plate off the car before you sell it. The plate belongs to the car not the owner.

So he needs to get the plate off the car, then wait for the V5 back with the new reg then sell you the car.

I was in the same position with my car when I bought it, so we agreed that I would remove the plate - the seller gave me the
Old 10-31-2005, 02:59 AM
Eni

Is it possible to change the owner and the reg at the same time on the V5?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:27 AM

Bassoctopus is correct.

If the seller want to keep the plate he must apply to the DVLA. They will issue an approprite reg for the car and assign the entitlement to the cherished number to the current owner. He can then sell the car.

If he sells it with the cherished plate on it then it's up to you if you sell that number on and give him back the money. Can't be done at the same time.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Oct 31 2005, 11:50 AM
So he needs to get the plate off the car, then wait for the V5 back with the new reg then sell you the car.
Eni, I don't want to scare you mate, but if he sends his V5 off now, it could be upto 6 weeks before he gets an updated V5 back on a non-cherished plate. So you could be in for a long wait .

If I was selling a car and it had a private plate, the first thing I would do is send the V5 off and get the private plate removed - the buyer would be in for a long wait otherwise.

Ash
Old 10-31-2005, 08:11 AM

But as I said, there is a way round it.

You buy the car with that plate on, and agree to sell it back to him for the amount that it costs you to remove it from the car. Then you go to your DVLA office, retain the plate - in your name, but nominate the guy you bought from as the retainer of the plate. As soon as he's put it on his new car, it belongs to him.

That is the only way round it, without you waiting for 2-6 weeks for him to get the V5 back. If it's a private seller from here, I'm sure he will be happy to do it like this, rather than lose his sale.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Eni,Oct 31 2005, 11:40 AM
Also wheres the best place to check to ensure that a warranty is still valid..(ie. check its not been invalidated, rather than expired).
If it's got a Honda Service History and has not been modified in any way you should be fine with the warranty.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Oct 31 2005, 05:11 PM
You buy the car with that plate on, and agree to sell it back to him for the amount that it costs you to remove it from the car. Then you go to your DVLA office, retain the plate - in your name, but nominate the guy you bought from as the retainer of the plate. As soon as he's put it on his new car, it belongs to him.
I didn't know this was possible - thanks for the tip
Old 10-31-2005, 08:24 AM

A bit of a PITA though, and it relies on you and seller trusting each other. I helped sell the plate that was on my car too, it went to AdrianEagle in the end.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you or the current owner can go to a local DVLA office lots across the country, and pay

Quick Reply: Personal Plate Transfer Question