UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Performance ?

Old 03-29-2003, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by s200Dsa
with a local Noble and a Carrera 4 who have so much low end torque they leave me in the dust, everything else is fair game :-)
These seem a bit challenging - even for an S. Rather demonstate the ultra quick top drop
Old 03-29-2003, 12:16 AM

How right you are Chris - just got to know when you can't compete - mind you work colleague just took delivery of his Cabrio M3 SMG, which is seriously scary so now got competition in that department too.:-)
Old 03-29-2003, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never been in a situation where I was underpowered in the S, but plenty of times when I was underskilled....

you didn't give much info on the golf..but you can sometimes get in trouble even with a 130bhp competitior if they have floored the accelerator a few seconds before you and have momentum built up..
Old 03-29-2003, 12:19 AM

All been said and as usual Cedric, Brian et al. have got it spot on.

I am not a very good driver.
I bought the S because it has few of these driver aids that make you feel a better driver than you are.
IMHO it takes longer to get your bum in tune with the S than say an Elise - but it is so rewarding as it happens.
There is nothing quite like the feeling of satisfaction that comes when you feel that you have half | quarter way got the line right, gears right, revs right, balance on.
I have had some (for me) memorable moments - following a Carrera at a smartish pace along winding roads, playing tag with a Morgan, etc.
I have had more fun out of the S in my 15 months of ownwership than most of the cars I've driven.

But if it's not for you - what's the problem? I would advocate giving it the Spring months though.

Whatever you decide - enjoy the drive!

AFTERTHOUGHT: IMVHO the S provides (albeit with more creature comforts) much the same sort of enjoyment that the Allan Clark's of this world used to get out of some of their modes of transport.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:33 AM

The day I picked up my S, I hated it - noisy, harsh ride, no room. I was inconsolable - how could I have spent almost 20k on this?

Then, about 6 in the evening I decided to take it out without my girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat. I came back with my woolly hat on, roof down and a grin from ear to ear.

I have some health problems which means that the S isn't ideal for me to drive everyday, but that's easily fixed - a cheap runabout for getting to work and an S for when I want some fun. I have to say that I have regretted not getting another S, but I shall be rectifying this.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:54 AM

Thanks for all the advice! The golf head to head is not really being fair to the S, the guy was in front of me flooring it but wouldn't move over til he knew there wasn't much road left before the roundabout so I guess you could say he just used the situation to his advantage to stop me doing an overtaking manoeuvre.

I think what this did though is highlight to me that I haven't got a clue when it comes to 'real' driving. Yeah I used to arse about in FWD hot hatches and think I was pretty cool and I think this has been a rather sharp shock into driving reality. I am going persevere for a few more weeks, if things do not seem to be improving and I still feel like changing then before I do I will check out Don Palmer and that way I feel I will have given the car every chance to see if its right for me.

Don't get me wrong though, I do love driving the car, I love the looks, I love the xenon front lights its just getting this performance thing right

Anyway I'm going out to

On another point does anyone know if Autoglym Leather Care is ok on the leather seats ?
Old 03-29-2003, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by DuggE
On another point does anyone know if Autoglym Leather Care is ok on the leather seats ?
The Zaino stuff might be better - it's what I use, and is very good. There's a Group Buy on at the moment.

CTR
Old 03-29-2003, 03:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris speaks a wise word (or two), forget that, just the one.

The Zaino leather care is fab. I picked a work colleague up today. Now the top was down, it was 7:30am, we were doing 50 and he said `jeeze this interior smells of leather`! Now remember, cold morning, 50mph, top down, 3 weeks since a leather care treatment and it still smells strong. LURVE IT!

Once again, another quality Zaino product - Leather in a bottle!
Old 03-29-2003, 03:50 AM

I've just used some Zaino on my new leather gym bag - mmmmm, the whole house smells like leather.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:41 AM

DuggE

I can only mirror what the guys have said. Like you, I was very aprehensive about the S when I forst purchased it. I nearly didn't buy it due to all the posts regarding winter driving. But after having it for a month I am 95% happy with it (the 5% is due to a few annoying ratles )

I have come from an AWD scooby background (MY98 UK spec and Sti V) followed by a CTR. Having driven the S I now realise that I am a sh!t driver when it comes to understanding RWD. I cannot drive the S as quick as the CTR, and it goes without saying that me in a scoob would anialate me in an S. BUT, I prefere the S, why? because if offers a challange. After two weeks of driving the CTR I pretty much knew it's limits, after one month in the S I still have no idea where they are and I am learning more each time I get in it.

Comparing the S to the scoob is a pointless excersie, other than mentioning that driving a scoob is dull in comparison to the S, I dare say the same can be said for the EVO. These rally cars are point and squirt, O look there's a corner I'll floor it and LET THE CAR get me round. In the S it is more down to driver skill than fancy wizz bang mechanicals.

Like you, I will be doing the Don Palmer Creative Car Control course, I will be doing this in the autumn, I want to give myslef several months getting to know the car (and then letting Don show me that actually I knew nothing), I will also be doing a track day soon (Elvington) and I am already sh!tting myslef about it, I am 100% sure I will be the slowest driver on track, but I am also sure that I will leave the event knowing alot more about my car and the skill I either do or don't have as a driver.

Anyway, this is just my two penneth worth, but in my opinion, it is worth giving yourself the proper amount of time to learn how to drive the car. You mention yourself that you love it, why get rid of it?

It's not always about who is fastest on the road (we all know the S is as fast (if not faster) as most performance cars on the road), it is also about having fun, and driving a car like the S, how can you not enjoy it

(I'm starting to ramble now so I'll get back in my corner.......)

Frank

Quick Reply: Performance ?