UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

People who don't give a cr*p

Old 06-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mattg4321,Jun 26 2009, 04:06 PM
Cant believe theres some on here saying they don't like the fact disabled people have their own spaces. Have you not got a clue or what?????
where does it say that?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo-R,Jun 26 2009, 02:15 PM
I personally dont agree with parking over 2 spaces, defeats the point of having marked parking bays/areas.
The point is the marked bays are generally too small because the supermarkets/ car park operators (its not just a supermarket problem) want to cram as many cars into a small a space as possible and don't give a toss about convenience or potential damage to property, as long as they can maximise their profits. Then they stick up a sign saying parking is at the owners risk and they can't be responsible for damage incurred whilst on their property.

So to minimise my risk (both damage to the car or having to hang around waiting for someone to move their car so I can get in it) I park to ensure adequate space either side to aid access to the car.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Spies,Jun 26 2009, 01:38 PM
What about parking over 3 spaces?
The dent repair while you wait / chips away vans do that!

I've noticed that a few B&Q's have burger vans parked outside too and they take up loads of spaces.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Banned

I tend not to use two spaces

except when I park miles from anywhere when I disregard all markings

it's quite beyond me how anyone can get upset at something that doesn't affect them in the slightest

but I can't really see what the big deal is about this in other areas either

someone might park in two spaces but it doesn't stop someone marking 2' away from you left, right or on both sides

I think it would be interesting to do away with all markings and just pay an attendant to give instructions/keep an eye on things

seems to work at much bigger venues than your average supermarket
Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Using 2 spaces is asking for trouble.

It pisses people off, and to be honest when I see someone doing it I do roll my eyes a bit. It is a bit like saying "well I think my car is really nice so **** you all"

I did try it once and some ****er squeezed a car in there!

If you are quite anal about parking (and I am) then these are good:

http://www.eurobumperguard.com/car_door_protector.html
Old 06-26-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Jun 26 2009, 04:43 PM
I think it would be interesting to do away with all markings and just pay an attendant to give instructions/keep an eye on things

seems to work at much bigger venues than your average supermarket
Interesting thought gad. I know it works at larger events where people arrive at the same time and leave at roughly the same time. I think you'd need more than one attendant in a large busy supermarket car park where people come and go at all times.

Doing away with markings would improve the situation generally as people would leave a little more space between. There will, of course, be the odd exception with no spacial awareness that'll park crooked or too close!

I think the best solution would be an automatic car park
like this OK until it breaks down, I guess, then 100's of trapped cars!

This looks slightly neater but probably more expensive
Old 06-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Jun 26 2009, 01:32 PM
how come no-one complains when parents and children park in 'our' spaces?

ditto the disabled

some people want it everyway
Maybe I took this the wrong way then.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mattg4321,Jun 27 2009, 01:09 AM
Maybe I took this the wrong way then.
I think you did

I'm struggling to see where it says or implies that the disabled should not have their own spaces

What it does mean, is that some categories of people have reserved spaces, in addition to every other space

For the avoidance of doubt:

I respect the special needs (note the pun) of the disabled and believe their parking spaces should be respected

But I also belive mother and baby spaces are just a marketing stunt and these people are no more deserving of a better space than anyone else

My first preference is always to park as far as possible from the entrance, where parking is light, not in m&b spaces as some weird point of principle
Old 06-26-2009, 11:47 PM

I parked over two spaces (unknowingly - trust me, the end space was barely big enough for a motorbike!) in a M'storey car park once, on the very top level, which at the time was empty. When I returned I had a lovely note on my car saying 'you co*k you better pay for two!' I was lucky to escape without a nice key down my car I reckon... It is asking for trouble.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:39 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

When I read it quickly the first time I thought you were implying disabled people shouldn't get the use of their spaces and the rest of the car park. I can definately see how it could mean something else though!

For the record - under NO circumstances would I ever park in a disabled space unless there was 20 or 30 free and I was just running to the cash point etc. Disabled people need these spaces - worrying over a small dent actually seems quite pathetic when you think what these people have to go through every day. I wouldn't park over two spaces a. because your asking for trouble like many people have altready said and b. if the car park is near full then its plain selfish.

The mother and baby spaces are a bit of an odd one in my opinion. I don't really agree with them although maybe having the extra space around the car saves a few other cars that otherwise might've been hit by buggys, children swinging doors open etc. I sometimes park in these its pretty empty but feel strangely guilty if its busy! You could always say you were picking up a child later on if someone confronted you anyway.

Generally speaking I'll park up in the remote parts of the car park but its true some cock always parks right next you afterwards. REALLY winds me up. My car is pretty much dent free - I want it to stay that way. Maybe a good idea in paying car parks would be to charge an extra pound for a wider space?! I'm sure most people wouldn't pay the extra but I'm certain I would - at least when driving the S.

Quick Reply: People who don't give a cr*p