UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

People who don't give a cr*p

Old 06-29-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Jun 26 2009, 10:26 PM
I think you did

I'm struggling to see where it says or implies that the disabled should not have their own spaces

What it does mean, is that some categories of people have reserved spaces, in addition to every other space

For the avoidance of doubt:

I respect the special needs (note the pun) of the disabled and believe their parking spaces should be respected

But I also belive mother and baby spaces are just a marketing stunt and these people are no more deserving of a better space than anyone else

My first preference is always to park as far as possible from the entrance, where parking is light, not in m&b spaces as some weird point of principle
they are designed to allow more room to get a toddler/kids in and out so that when they do the car parked next door doesnt get dented.

in some supermarket car parks it can be almost impossible to get a child in the car and strapped in a car seat without twatting the next car with your door.

on more than one occasion i have had to reverse out and load up but if you are by u yourself thats not possible. bottom line is spaces should be bigger.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by AlyWW,Jun 29 2009, 11:38 AM
It is impossible to strap a child into a car seat without opening the door fully.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 AM

On Thursday there is a new Sainsbury's opening within walking distance of my house!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AlyWW,Jun 29 2009, 11:38 AM
Parent and child spaces are actually there partly for your benifit by the way. It is impossible to strap a child into a car seat without opening the door fully. I'm sure you would be the first to complain if someone ran a childs buggy down the side of your car or if their kids left hand prints or scratches on the paint. Anyone wondering why they are close to the entrance has obviously never tried to get two screaming kids and their shopping across a busy car park while making sure nobody runs them over. Any healthy adult on their own can quite easily park a distance away and walk if they are that bothered about their car. You can't always do that with kids. My local Sainsburys has 'comfort parking' spaces at the far end of the car park which is a top idea.
I was questioned once when getting out of my S in a parent and child spare - a bloke came up and said 'these are for woman with children' to which I replied, 'no it quite clearly says parent'.
Years ago I used to have a Renault 19 16V. I once came back to it in a supermarket car park to find a woman had rested a carboard box full of her shopping on my roof while she fished around in her pockets for her car keys. I said nothing, got in my car and drove away leaving her picking up her shopping from the floor.
your choice to have kids and your problem

just because I may not have kids doesn't mean I may not have some pressing reason to park close to the supermarket

the simplest solution would be to provide everyone with adequately sized spaces

kids or not, it is impossible to open the doors on a typical two door in typically sized bays
Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local Sainsburys used to make it's parent and child spaces for use by anyone after 6pm. I always parked there until one evening my car reg got called over the tannoy.

Dashed to customer services to be met by some irate old bat claiming I had parked in a disabled space and should be made to move. Woman on 'customer services' was giving equal static till I pointed out I was on red painted tarmac not blue. Customer services bint backed off but never got an apology out of either of them. Store was happy to take my money tho!

Having said that have seen cars reverse into others on more than one occassion. I have left the reg of the offender, and my details on windscreen as a witness. Never once have I had a call of thanks so is it a surprise no one helps anyone anymore?!?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:42 PM
TRW

I love the way this parent and child space arguement rolls on!

Its seems to me that if you dont agree with something then you dont have to abide by it by the sounds of things.

Its the supermarkets choice to put those spaces there for the benefit of their customers and its a shame they arent enforced.

I have had my fair share of supermarket car park incidents and dents but I still dont feel the need to park in a space that is clearly for the benefit of someone other than me.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:09 AM

So if I ask you to jump you will ask me how high?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:33 AM

If you went to a block of flats or an office building, and there was a sign saying a space was reserved for a certain flat, or for the managing director of the company, would you park there when it's not meant for you?

You're on the supermarket's property. If they tell you a space is for the use of parents with children, thats who it's for.

Ignoring designated spaces, or parking across double spaces because you feel your car to be in some way more important or precious than others just reinforces the stereotype that those of us who drive two seater sports cars are all inconsiderate cocks.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:19 AM
TRW

Originally Posted by Moggy,Jun 30 2009, 09:09 AM
So if I ask you to jump you will ask me how high?
If its your supermarket then I would respect the rules that you would set.

Not really justifying your actions is it?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:29 AM

Gaddafi, being shelfish or lazy or both does not count as a pressing reason.

Quick Reply: People who don't give a cr*p