UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Pedal Adjustment

Old 12-15-2003, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal Adjustment

I wonder whether anyone can help me.

I bought the s2k for 2 reasons, the bleeding obvious one and the 2nd for my wife to take my daughter to school in (about 60miles/day). The only time she's driven it caused problems because she is too short to reach the pedals comfortably, (ok on short journeys) ie without the steering wheel being too close to her chest (no sarcy comments please).

I had a similar problem with a Panther we used to own about 17 years ago (horrible car, looked good though), I got a local guy to fabricate and weld blocks on the pedals which worked fine for the wife (5'1") but caused me discomfort (6').

Does anyone know of an alternative method as I don't want to get rid, I like the beast too much. (She would like a Mini, so please save me).
Old 12-15-2003, 04:04 PM

Do they still sell platform shoes ? Perhaps they would help.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only thing I can think of would be to change the steering wheel. You'd need a boss that disables the airbag. Then you could have two steering wheels, one with no dish to move the wheel forward for clearance, and one more standard so you could still drive. I don't think that's a good idea, but it's all I can think of. A smaller diameter wheel might help as well... but could make the steering a bit quick/heavy.

There are some JDM cars that have replaced the pedals - seen pics of a few running Tilton pedal boxes. But that's a lot of work and I'm not convinced it would help that much.

One more wildcard suggestion. There's a mod some people in the US do to lower the seat about 1-1.5". Now that might help her reach the pedals, if it's not too big a drop to stop her seeing out. It depends a bit on her build - could be 5'1" with along torso and short legs, or any other combination.

You could always buy a Mini for her, and keep the S as well. Then again, she's probably after a MINI which is a huge car, with a tiny interior, so not the same thing at all

-Brian.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:26 AM

Brian,

Tried searching for a thread about lowering the seat on the US forums but couldn't find one.

Do you know any more about it or have a link to a thread?

I find the seat just a tad too high for me (when I was at Goodwood my crash helmet was rubbing against the roof!).

Any tips or info much appreciated.

Cheers

Simon
Old 12-16-2003, 04:04 AM
kev

What about buying her another car? That way you get to drive the S a lot more
Old 12-16-2003, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can find the info on modding the standard seat in this thread. Scroll down and you'll find pictures and instructions.

I've been looking into lower seating for myself. Seems like you can get:

1" lower, with the seat mod. Maybe 1.5", max if you also have some seat padding removed.
2" lower, sliding rails (Taitec for one), using a bucket seat - Recaro SPG, Sparco REV etc.
3" lower, sliding rails with modification to the rear rail (Taitec), using the Recaro SPG, or Sparco REV. Or the Mugen seat/rail combination.

There are plenty of other seats... but it's tricky with what fits - the shoulder 'wings' on a lot of seats are too wide to clear the door/centre console.

One option I don't think anyone's tried would be some seats like the Tillet's used in Caterhams. They should fit in side mount rails like the Taitec ones, they don't have wider shoulders so not fitment worries there, and they'd probably go seriously low. But they're pretty much non-existant on the trimming side of things...

-Brian.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. 60 mile round trip just to educate sprogs. Do you live deep in Welsh country?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:36 AM

If you don't want to get rid of the car, you could always get rid of the wife.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

She must be VERY short.

Even Pussycat, Noony and bluenoon can reach the pedals
Old 12-16-2003, 02:43 PM

Yep, short legs I'm afraid.

If seat is lowered she won't see over the dash.

If I get rid she may take the car out of spite.

She drives the Soarer which has adjustable steering and seat, perfect fit but only does around 22 mpg on the run and I don't want to put the mileage up too much.

I can't really afford another car, I already have 3 and a van.

May have to try the platforms, I can't see her being too happy because you intend to lose the feel for the pedals.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Quick Reply: Pedal Adjustment