UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

PDA mount

Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDA mount

just done a search of the entire forum, and no-one has use my idea.... is there a reason for it?

my idea is to use a Z-shaped bracket that uses the 2x passenger-side radio screws, slips past the radio door and then have a PDA mount attached. this would be made so the radio door still opens/closes properly, and also shouldnt get in the way of the passengers legs... (nor interfere with handbrake operation). the bracket would have a twist upwards of around 20deg's (idealy) so it's directly pointing to the driver.

it seems soooo obvious, that im suprised it hasnt been done before. is there a reason for it?

hope my explanation gives enough detail.

im thinking of using metal from a pc case - hard enough to be sturdy, weak enough to be bent&cut easily, and thin enough to slip past the dash&radio door gap.

your thoughts/comments please!
Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PDA mount

The perspex was sprayed black with matt spray paint and came out OK.

I never got around to fitting a phone bracket next to it in the end.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:23 AM

In the end I found modifry's solution the best for my needs, can't knock it.
http://www.modifry.com/products/mounts/mdb-rhd.htm
Old 06-07-2009, 06:02 AM

Brodit do one as well IIRC
Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by s2knim,Jun 7 2009, 12:23 PM
In the end I found modifry's solution the best for my needs, can't knock it.
http://www.modifry.com/products/mounts/mdb-rhd.htm
The only slight problem with the modifry one that I can see, is that it won't be easy to hide cables away. That said I'm going to order one as I think it's the best option by far.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 PM

You mean like this ...

Knocked it up out of a couple of off cuts of aluminium plate, haven't got around to painting it just yet. The cable is routed under the side panel to the back of the stereo, just slacken the large screw head to enable the panel to lift slightly to poke the cable under.

The plate is screwed into the left hand side of the centre console by 2 small countersunk self taping screws, and these are hidden by the radio cover assembly. It works great and cost nothing.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 PM

exactly like that wobbly!

although before i saw the newer posts here, i came up with modifry's idea - and i think i'll be goign with that!.... just more DIY - it's just a little bit less intrusive than the passenger side leg area (i'll be running a touch HD landscape, so width-ways it will be fairly wide), and also a little bit easier to hear and hopefully see with the roof down!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 AM

Nice DIY mount Wobbly

Wobbly's mount works well because the iPod is so narrow. If you try to put anything wider in you endanger the passengers knee with a metal plate. Not ideal in a crash type situation.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:22 AM

I needed something and the sole reason I decided against this solution is that it would invade the leg area, for me on the driver side with the radio door open my leg is already close and I dont leave it open for fear of bashing it
Old 06-08-2009, 05:10 AM

If I were fitting anything larger than a Nano, then it would be worth knocking up a few prototypes in cardboard to check for clearances first. It's quite tight in there If I have the ipod angled too much towards me then the door catches when it's opened, and in order to slide the ipod into it's cradle then I have to rotate the cradle 90 degrees to the left and slide it in horizontaly and then right it because of the over hang of the dashboard. Very minor points though.

I like the Modifry mount that attaches to the side of the instument panel and I think it would be possible to route any wires through the small panel with air vents above the stereo door. The only down side with this is having to remove the instrument panel to fit it.

Good luck with yours and post up some pics when it's finished!

Quick Reply: PDA mount