UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Parking outside someone else house

Old 06-24-2005, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short of parking your own car out the front there's not a lot you can do about it. As someone mentioned if it's got a valid tax disc, etc and there are no parking restrictions they are free to park where they like.

My mate lives in Swindon old town and they have permits there, but some permits cover more than one road. He lives in a cul-de-sac so it's nice and quiet and he finds cars from neighbouring roads parked in his space so they're out the way and he has to park elsewhere when he gets in from work. Every now and then he smashed their wing mirror off and after a while they soon disappear. Not sensible behaviour, but when they're clearly beinging ignorant and selfish what can you do?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:20 AM

I agree that it sounds like the neighbour is being inconsiderate and is morally in the wrong, however, unless they are blocking access to your house or causing an obstruction so long a the vehicle has a valid tax disc then there is very little you can do.

I would say that I'd recommend trying to be reasonable - if you upset the guy he more likely to behave in a way that he knows you don't like...

If you're not careful these things can escalate beyond the minor situation and become very costly - I have a friend who had a dispute with a neighbour which started over something very minor and ended up in the county court with legal costs in excess of #60K (bloody US keyboards)

Cheers,
Old 06-24-2005, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shipley,Jun 24 2005, 09:03 AM
We had this in a little lay-by near us...It happened very regularly. The parked cars were in the direct view of my neighbour's lounge.

Initially vandalism springs to mind but that only escalates the problem. We decided he should ring the Police and the local Council and advise them that there was an abandoned car in the lay-by.

He got a mediocre reception so I went out and poured some petrol under the car and then I rang the Police as another concerned resident and told them that I was reporting an abandoned car and that it was leaking fuel and I feared for my children.

2 hours later, after the Fire brigade had been, the car was towed away.

Not sure what happened subsequently but funnily enough the issue has been resolved.

Good luck with it....some people have no decency.
Very clever
Old 06-24-2005, 01:24 AM

Old 06-24-2005, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by StuartL,Jun 24 2005, 10:04 AM
I don't think you can do anything about it unless they're parking in front of your dropped kerb.
That's my understanding too. No-one has any particular automatic right to park outside their own property on the public road.

If there IS a dropped kerb, you're in luck. I've just done a bit of digging and foudn this:

The Traffic Management Act 2004, which crept onto the statute books with little debate, is mainly about regulating road works, scaffolding, and the powers of traffic wardens. But tucked away towards the end is a section containing a couple of clauses that are less well known. It's now illegal to park next to a dropped kerb, for instance. Exceptions are:

* When you're in a parking space
* When you're parked outside residential premises with the consent of the occupier of the premises -- as long as you're not paying for parking.
* When loading or unloading for 20 minutes or less.
* Works such as gas and water, or road works.
* It's an armed forces vehicle -- so a parking a tank across your neighbour's driveway is OK

It's certainly very inconsiderate, and it smacks of the neighbour spoiling for a fight. I know it would definitely wind me up!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Shipley,Jun 24 2005, 01:03 AM
He got a mediocre reception so I went out and poured some petrol under the car and then I rang the Police as another concerned resident and told them that I was reporting an abandoned car and that it was leaking fuel and I feared for my children.

2 hours later, after the Fire brigade had been, the car was towed away.
My biggest hesitation with this action is that it draws the fire brigade and police into it. They're busy enough without having work created for them...
Old 06-24-2005, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Jun 24 2005, 01:25 AM
That's my understanding too. No-one has any particular automatic right to park outside their own property on the public road.

If there IS a dropped kerb, you're in luck. I've just done a bit of digging and foudn this:
One thing that I can offer if he's prepared to pay money is that the council will drop the kerb if you pay them to do it.

Once the kerb is dropped you then have the law on your side...
Old 06-24-2005, 01:36 AM

I can't believe how many of you have suggested things along the lines of break mirror, key or let down tyres. If this was your pride and joy that was being targeted with this kind of mindless vandalism there would be all sorts of angry threads flying about on here.

I thought people on here had more respect for EVERYONE's motors, fiesta's to ferrari's. We all have a right to drive, why should anyone have to put up with vandalism because of where they park. If there is no restrictions its fair to park there.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:37 AM

I'd get a roadworthy but tatty caravan park it outside the house and let the neighbour look at it for a few weeks. oh no just had a better idea - an ice cream van and i'd keep going out every 10 mins (after 7am and before 7pm of course ) just to check the loud speakers on it still work.....

Where we used to live the stupid woman next door would insist on parking outside our front window, really used to wind me up to the point where i wanted to punch her lights out - i didn't tho cos Mark wouldn't let me I think it was cos she was crap at parking and probs couldn't get it on her driveway

oh and another rule not mentioned by LL: you can't park at the bottom of someone elses driveway, it blocks access and thats just not allowed..
Old 06-24-2005, 02:01 AM

Thanks for the advice, the entrance to the drive is in fact a dropped kerb. The length of the kerb to the next dropped kerb is only slightly longer than a car. So maybe he does have some grounds to negotiate, but my Dad wants to sell his house & you have to reveal any disputes you've had to potential buyers.

It's very easy to let these things escalate so I don't want to get daft. The neighbour is a bit of a tw@t he owns pizza shops & comes in from work at all hours (which in itself is not a problem) but then is noisy & inconsiderate. My Dad has generally letting these things go, but I think it's getting to him now especially after the car was parked for two weeks. My Dad asked him to move it & he refused as he said that he didn't have the keys. This guy is just a selfish b@stard who doesn't have consideration for anyone else, which is so often the case.

Quick Reply: Parking outside someone else house