UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Parking outside someone else house

Old 06-24-2005, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking outside someone else house

I wonder if anyone can help with this, my Dad is having problems with his neighbour. His neighbour has a tendency whenever he has visitors to get them to park in front of my Dad's house (leaving the front of his own house car free). This has finally come to a head when his brother left his car parked in front of my Dad's house for a fortnight whilst he jetted off on holiday. This has caused a few ructions with my Dad & neighbour, but the neighbour refuses to change his ways and said there is nothing my Dad can do about it. BTW the houses are detached & on a standard housing estate, the thing that makes it worse is that the front gardens are small & the road is slightly higher than the house. So I can imagine looking at someone else's car can be quite galling also it means any visitors to my Mum & Dad have to park elsewhere.

This might sound petty, but does anyone know if my Dad can do something to stop this? I suggested reporting that he had an abandoned car in front of house or parking his own car there but why do that when you've got a drive. I also suggested chinning the neighbour & offered to help, but I don't think this was the most constructive way forward.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:57 AM

Buy a big feck off tatty old van for not much money and park it in front of the offensive neighbours house until he agrees that he's being unreasonable!
Old 06-24-2005, 12:59 AM

Let his tyres down!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing you can do so long as the cars parked on the road have a valid tax disc.

I had a neighbour that used to stick cones on the road to stop people parking outside his house ....... they could often be found thrown into his front garden
Old 06-24-2005, 01:00 AM

I'm sure the legal eagles will be along in a second with some advice on where you stand legally, but in the meantime collect evidence as much evidence as you can , e.g. take some digital photos of any blockages and note down times etc. so that these can be presented to support your case.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phase_k,Jun 24 2005, 08:57 AM
Buy a big feck off tatty old van for not much money and park it in front of the offensive neighbours house until he agrees that he's being unreasonable!
This is the way to do it.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:03 AM

We had this in a little lay-by near us...It happened very regularly. The parked cars were in the direct view of my neighbour's lounge.

Initially vandalism springs to mind but that only escalates the problem. We decided he should ring the Police and the local Council and advise them that there was an abandoned car in the lay-by.

He got a mediocre reception so I went out and poured some petrol under the car and then I rang the Police as another concerned resident and told them that I was reporting an abandoned car and that it was leaking fuel and I feared for my children.

2 hours later, after the Fire brigade had been, the car was towed away.

Not sure what happened subsequently but funnily enough the issue has been resolved.

Good luck with it....some people have no decency.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:04 AM

I don't think you can do anything about it unless they're parking in front of your dropped kerb. However the practice of solving it is simple:

Option 1: Call the council and ask (nicely) if there's anything they can do. Local councils are usually suprisingly helpful and they're likely to be honest if you don't make it sound like it's you being the *rs*hole. You can also report the car in front of your house abandoned if it's there a while

Option 2: On the assumption that doesn't work start parking your own car on the road in front of your house. Eventually they'll have to find a solution to the problem by finding somewhere else to park. Once they're in the habit of parking elsewhere you return to using the driveway.

Option 3: This is where it gets aggressive and this is a dangerous game to play. I cannot recommend this course of action as depending on your neighbour it may escalate into a full scale war. Simple enough: Park your car in front of their house. The problem with this is that they're able to key it, smash windows etc.

Option 4: Make it undesirable to park there. Broken glass, maybe a couple of traffic cones etc can all put off drivers wanting to find somewhere to park. Be careful of being reported for littering/dumping

At the end of the day this guy is doing little wrong, is it possible for your Dad just to ignore it?

Good luck.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:04 AM

We have a similar problem here as there is not much car parking in town and we are very close to the airport and train station. People turn up dump their cars and clear off to work/train station/airport. Often for periods of time leaving residents short of a car parking space.

Now I cannot endorse his methods but one guy in the street has a pretty good way of dealing with it to ensure they don't repeat offend. The other week a Golf had been left for the weekend. So someone took the valves out of all four tyres Looked a right state sat there..... must have knackered the tyres too. Other cars have been scratched to bits as well.

The guy I suspect does this is very very wierd..... and has far too much time on his hands.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:11 AM

I parked my car on a road not far from my house once when there was no parking elsewhere. Some goit let my tyres down.

I'm a big fan of permit holder only parking as it stops these problems. I know I'm not allowed to park there and the residents don't get p*ss*d off.

Quick Reply: Parking outside someone else house