UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Parallel Imports - Pros and Cons ?

Old 01-16-2004, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parallel Imports - Pros and Cons ?

Was looking on the trader last night and noticed that Hondas are selling new 04 S2k's around the late 22 - 23k IIRC.

Apart from the obvious that it won't be worth as much or the equivalent less then a new s2k minus depreciation in x amount of years. Have members found that there is any other drawbacks. I appreciate that the warranty is only 60k but I only do 8 - 10k a year.

As some of you know, I am about to mortgage myself up big time and have just been told the mortgage has been approved

I want to get a new / newer car as I won't be able to change for probably 3 - 4 years and the thoughts I have been having recently I don't want to not have an S2k either. Bloody hell this car is addictive.

So, my dilema, having seen the new 04 in the flesh I want one but can't afford to pay the full
Old 01-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/search.php?s...rder=descending

With luck this will show enough old threads. Should prompt some more replies.

Camps tend to be divided between:

Anti-import

Can't be doing with the hassle, it will be worth less in three years, less saleable, inferior warranty, suspect origin etc

Pro-import

Cars are identical, who is gonna know anyway, price is everything

Issues change, like
Old 01-16-2004, 01:50 AM

Maybe worth checking with Motorpoint. They are selling cars from Malta for 21,999 or thereabouts. Do a search and read through to gem up. To date they have only been getting older model cars but they are expecting MY04's soon. My BM was from them and they are prety good if price is your main concern. All the stickers and plates can be removed so noone will ever now !!!
Old 01-16-2004, 02:01 AM

Motorpoint sounds good @ 22k if that is what they will be doing on an 04.

That would be ok for me being half Maltese or the better half as my Mum keeps telling me.

Unfortunately, this time round, price is my main concern otherwise I would gor for a UK model.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The key is whether you are buying a UK spec car or not. I bought a UK spec '03 through Virgin for just under
Old 01-16-2004, 02:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by supers2k
Would an EU import be a good idea or a bad idea ?
On the plus side it won't have one of those shitty alarms that Honda UK insist on installing *and* your boot will open every time with the remote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StevenM
Old 01-16-2004, 02:09 AM

With the S2000 the only really differences with parallel Vs UK car IIRC are:

1. Warranty 3 yr 90k Vs 3 yr 60k (euro)
2. Alarm - not usually up to spec

How many S's actually do 30k per annum anyway??

The car will have a euro PDI stamp and service log book, so no point trying to deceive future buyers. I think you just have to be realistic and when the time comes to sell, pass your saving onto the future buyer and you will have no problems.

I have a euro-import and I am certain I will sell it without any issues. Dealers will honour any warranty work because they HAVE to and will be more than willing (in my experience) as they will want to have the
Old 01-16-2004, 03:05 AM

I have just gone through the same problem. Do I get an import or not. Did last time. Only problem is that I have really been hit on part-ex value. Couldn't get a near decent offer from anyone. Eventually found a honda dealer with good contacts who got a reasonable price for it. They have also discounted the S2k

I normally do around 25-35k miles per annum so they extra warranty helps as well. Plus the dealer is just down the road so I can batter them if necessary. Rather than motorpoints after sales cold shoulder......
Old 01-16-2004, 05:00 AM

Good point, Motorpoint's aftersales are shocking to say the least. Thats the downside to buying a discounted car from a car supermarket unfortunately I had to deal with Motorpoints crap service and they got the wrath of moff I would have preferred to deal directly with a dealer too...

Quick Reply: Parallel Imports - Pros and Cons ?