UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Paint on my car

Old 01-01-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattg4321' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:45 AM
nooooo noooo nooooo! and no to t cut too
Wholeheartedly. G3 will fook the paintwork if used incorrectly. I know from experience.

Claybar might work, so I would suggest that first, if you're going to try and sort it yourself.

However, I would be going after the knuts that did the damage in the first place, to be honest.

Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle, Peter.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks for all the advice

The ejit who painted the fence was an agency labourer hired in by the same company I work for, so rather than kick up a fuss I might as well try and sort it out myself.

The paint spots come off if I rub them with my nail, but there are thousands of them all over the car, so that would take forever.

Think I will give the claybar thing a bit of a go. Have done a few searches and it sounds like it might well do the job, and it's about time the paintwork was given more than just a normal shampoo wash anyway. I just hope I don't end up doing more damage as I don't know much about this detailing lark. Will wait for the temperature to lift a few degrees first though
Old 01-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

just keep it all well lubed up so you dont get any marring

i expect youtube has some videos of people doing it for guidance
Old 01-02-2009, 01:51 AM

I was told by TM that claybar can remove factory paint overspills, which i image are very minor so id say go for clay bar.

Using clay is very easy, like matt said check out you tube.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:37 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Petron' date='Jan 2 2009, 07:28 AM
The paint spots come off if I rub them with my nail, but there are thousands of them all over the car, so that would take forever.
That's what I did with My BRG MX-5 in the end. Sandtex Cornish cream sticks like shit to a blanket and nothing I tried would touch it.

I'd try cellulose thinner (any bodyshop sells it) first. But be careful if Chipsaway have already ruined any areas of your car, because thet will wash off too.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 AM

My last car had loads of paint chips re-touched by some ham fisted idiot. I used a cotton wool ball dipped in nail varnish remover to get rid of the paint.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:41 AM

Claybar out of stock in our local Halfrauds (typical), so I will have to wait until next weekend before giving her a going over

Looked on youtube and they used liquid clay. What's the thoughts on this as an alternative? Is it as good as claybar? It seems to be easier to use.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Petron' date='Jan 2 2009, 07:28 AM
The ejit who painted the fence was an agency labourer hired in by the same company I work for, so rather than kick up a fuss I might as well try and sort it out myself.
Really? are you sure? I'd tell them to take the risk. although, jobs are worth more now than 6 months ago..
Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 AM

Well, Halfrauds finally got the clay kit in stock yesterday, so I have started the task (only done the HT and bonnet as bad light stopped play). The clay is definitely working although it takes a lot of passes to remove the paint. Spent about 3 hours so far.

Well impressed with the smooth feel of the bodywork compared to how rough it felt before. I never realised how much crap must have been caked on that normal washing alone doesn't shift. I'm liking this clay stuff, although it is time consuming

Any suggestions on treatment after I've finished claying? Just a coat of wax?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 AM

clay polish then wax... but they should be paying for your time !!!

Quick Reply: Paint on my car