UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Paint Correction

Old 07-24-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Correction

Over the past couple of weeks Ive corrected the paint and removed 95% of the defects.
The entire car was covered in very fine scratches, looks as if someone had used a green scouring pad, well perhaps not that bad. The dealer had hidden the majority of these with filler polish, and it wasnt until I gave it a good clean did I find out the true condition.

So paint corrected as follows

Used DAS6 Pro with
Chemical Guys No2 and a Orange pad
Refined with CG Final Polish on a white pad
Waxed with CG 50 / 50 love that polish.

I did try the Meguiars products but found they filled rather than corrected.

Overal result Im very pleased.:-)

The Final result

Subs in reflection, I thought it was still dirty :-)

My Favorites

Comments ?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:18 PM

Looks good. I've the same issue with my RnBp, looked pretty good nick when buying it.

But got it home give it a clay and well the paints awful. Have a few problems with the clear coat.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 AM

Looks great mate.

How long have you been using a polisher for? It's something I'd love to buy but knowing how rubbish the paint is on the S2000 I've always been too scared to get one for fear of making it worse.

Would you say that a novice could get results like that or do you really need to know what you are doing?

I take it you need to use a very fine polish and pad?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by feck_on_a_stick
Looks great mate.

How long have you been using a polisher for? It's something I'd love to buy but knowing how rubbish the paint is on the S2000 I've always been too scared to get one for fear of making it worse.

Would you say that a novice could get results like that or do you really need to know what you are doing?

I take it you need to use a very fine polish and pad?
To be honest all this talk about Honda paint really scares people when it shouldnt, as long as you use the correct products and take care.
With machine polishing there is always the risk that in removing the scratch / swirl you will go through the clear coat. Swirls are normally removed in 5 to 10 microns. Clearcoat can be 50 microns thick, however care must be taken at edges and angles as the paint will be thinner at the edges and at changes in panel angle ie front wing you can end up taking more off than necessary.

Can anyone machine polish, I would say if you are reasonably careful, then yes. Thats not to say you will get it first off. Suggest getting a panel from a scrap yard and practicing first. Did I do this no, I used a rotary with cutting compound many years ago.

The products I used were self deminishing polish, they start off fairly course for a polish, than as the particles break down they get finer and finer resulting in excellent finishes. Using a DA is much easier than a rotary, less agressive, but takes much longer to remove the defects. However its not all about the abrasive properties of the polishes, the pads used also play a huge part.

If you are going to try and do some correction, as long as the scratches are nor really deep the above mentioned combination should work well. A CG green pad falls somewhere between the white and red.

Start off with the softest pad ie white,and No2 polish, if this works within 1 or 2 applications great, if not go up to the green pad and try again, if still not doing the trick try the red. This should remove most swirls in a couple of applications.

Polishing by a DA is not quick, you should work on a patch say 450mm square and work the product until clear, 4 to 5 mins. Start off at the slowest speed ie 1 to spread the polish, and once spread increase to speed 4-5. Apply a medium to light pressure, the pad should spin say once or twice per second, any slower and your applying to much pressure. Always start and stop your pad on the paint, it makes a mess if you take it off at speed 5.

Have a go, it's really not that difficualt. You can turn your car from looking OK to looking better than new.

Dont forget to apply a good wax over your hard work the CG 50/50 is very esay to apply and works well.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rogc I'm very envious

I have a DA but don't have the time or patience to do it all in one go.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Spies
I have a DA but don't have the time or patience to do it all in one go.
Nor did I it took me 2 weeks probably 12 - 15 hours in total.

Did a couple of hours of an evening. Ideally I would have done it in one hit
Old 07-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the same colour all i can say is Excellent job and the paint looks perfect. Well done
Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not your daily driver then I assume?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Spies
Its not your daily driver then I assume?
Its not the only car, but if the weather is nice it gets used. Ideally not a wet weather car
Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Looks perfect

I really need to pay someone to do this to mine one day, mine has a few too many swirls in it and more than one person has been kinda enough to leave scratches in the lacquer for me in carparks

Quick Reply: Paint Correction