UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

P1607 Code

Old 11-02-2015, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1607 Code

Hi all
Rather unfortunately the battery died on the S and had to be emergency jump started (I know, I know, we were sort of out of options). Anyway, on the restart I noticed the CEL light on. I have a WiFi code reader (very handy btw - on a separate note the Lyl WiFi code reader and Dash Command are very good!) and so I pulled down the code which is a P1607. A quick search looks to show this is an ECM problem (P1607 Engine Control Module (ECM)/Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Internal Circuit Malfunction).

I've searched the forum for advice (including results like this https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/448...rcuit-failure/) and given the flat battery/jump start scenario and hoping its just a minor glitch, but I'm still slightly worried.

So I guess I'm asking what I should do? I can:
a) Clear down the code (but I'm worried that this may affect the PCM/ECM and therefore the keys - can someone confirm that clearing a code isn't going to do this)?
b) Take it straight to Honda all dewey eyed in a fluster and pray to god they don't just say 'you'll need another one mate' (the car seems to drive fine btw, although naturally I haven't gone VTEC)
c) Panic mr Manwaring
d) Something else.

So as ever I bow to your humble experience. Thoughts?
Appreciate as always in advance
Will
Old 11-02-2015, 07:00 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Clear down the trouble code, it's not a reset of anything so you'll be OK.

I'd be praying the jump start didn't put too much current through the ECU because of a dodgy earth connection somewhere (starter motor current draw goes through the ECU and burns out the earth track)
Old 11-02-2015, 07:06 AM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

ECM, is that the ECU? If it is id do the reset after checking if for any corrosion first.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Clear down the trouble code, it's not a reset of anything so you'll be OK.

I'd be praying the jump start didn't put too much current through the ECU because of a dodgy earth connection somewhere (starter motor current draw goes through the ECU and burns out the earth track)
Yes my fingers are praying exactly that. I know you're not supposed to jump start really but we were in a fix. I don't think there are any dodgy earths (the car has always been 100%, of course thats not to say it is now!) but its a nervous time :/ Glad you agree I can clear down the code and see what happens - I was 95% sure I could do that with no ill effects (baring the CEL coming back on of course) but that 5% combined with a very steep inaccessible drive made me think I should seek advice first!

Originally Posted by Irish TuneR
ECM, is that the ECU? If it is id do the reset after checking if for any corrosion first.
Yes pretty much the same thing. Do you mean reset or clear down of codes?

Cheers
Will
Old 11-02-2015, 09:09 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

You know what the code means so clear it.

Next do an ECU reset, (search on here for how)

After the sequence go for a drive and if it doesn't come back relax!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by richmc

But if I do the ECU reset won't I have to re-program the keys etc? Is that as easy as resetting the ECU?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:27 AM

Hang on do you mean bump start (pushing the car and dropping the clutch) - I'm not sure the ECU likes that, there are similar posts after a spin at the track - clearing code sorts it. The keys are stored in "non-volatile" memory on the ECU which means you can disconnect the power and it'll still remember. The trouble codes are stored in a special bit of memory that is designed to be cleared without affecting anything else - so you'll be fine.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Hang on do you mean bump start (pushing the car and dropping the clutch) - I'm not sure the ECU likes that, there are similar posts after a spin at the track - clearing code sorts it. The keys are stored in "non-volatile" memory on the ECU which means you can disconnect the power and it'll still remember. The trouble codes are stored in a special bit of memory that is designed to be cleared without affecting anything else - so you'll be fine.
No, it was jump started (from the only vehicle around - a Volvo XC60 - using cables) :/
I thought that to reset the ECU you needed to do more than disconnect the power?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:38 PM

Just wanted to double check, jump starting is fine. The main reason for only pulling the ECU backup fuse is so you don't lose you clock and have to re-enter a radio code - but if you've had a totally flat battery you've probably had to reset your clock anyway!

The only extra thing is leave it to idle for 3 activations of the radiator fan after the ECU reset so it can find its idle point again.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by H!cks
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1446487771' post='23792751

But if I do the ECU reset won't I have to re-program the keys etc? Is that as easy as resetting the ECU?
No just reprogram the radio code. Maybe the alarm if it's not a Honda one.

Quick Reply: P1607 Code