UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Overtaking

Old 05-03-2003, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overtaking

Picture the scene....
45-50mph, on an A road an you are patiently waiting to overtake, you spot a gap in the road....

What gear would you be in?

2nd gear - sweet, your in the and bang your at 60ish in no time, but you need to change up a gear to avoid hitting the limiter and to do a fast and safe overtake... 1 second wasted in the gearchange?

3rd gear - Just out of VTEC so you patiently wait for the hit (sound like a crack addict here ), then bang your away and past.

My question is which is the fastest method?
Old 05-03-2003, 11:40 AM

I would say the 2nd gear o/t. One doesn't loose too much progress on the gear change when changing near the limiter.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:41 AM

yeah I agree
Old 05-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Tend to drop back before starting the overtake, accelerate and would be in third before reaching the car to be overtaken. I want both hands on the wheel at that moment in time.

I find the best approach is to move out smartly, not slowly, so that I am on the wrong side of the road if you like, with maximum straight ahead visibility. Then I do all my accelerating (or braking, if the overtake has to be abandoned) in a straight line.

This is different from the normal up their arse, veer out diagonally while accelerating, blast past and veer back in technique
Old 05-03-2003, 12:43 PM

Firstly depends on several variables. Too many to list here but include, distance before hazard, distance of overtake room available, approaching hazard/vehicle speed, road condition, have you just exited a bend or on a long straight....etc...etc...

i would suggest 2nd gear option for expidited overtake, ie, exiting a right hand bend whilst in the left contact position.....
but as gadaffi states with a longer run up or greater distance to hazard then 3rd gear would be sufficient for a nice longer overtake...

overtaking is very easy....the planning is the hardest job

for what its worth, Roadcraft, has many good examples and is what I learnt for work.

This has been a very condessed answer but hope it helps.

Rob
Old 05-03-2003, 01:28 PM

Moff

I agree with gaddafi to a point, in that before an overtake you need to be back form the vehicle in front in oder to get good visibility, anticipate and plan your overtake and start accelerating towards the vehicle in front before pulling out (therefore 3rd would be the more flexible gear at 50). However with each overtake, situations may be different with varying hazards and of course road conditions. Rob_Jenson is right, Roadcraft does give many good examples but at the end of the day and on each occassion, it's you assesing the information regarding risks and conditions and therefore your choice: as long as it's smooth and controlled it's whatever works for you.

ChrisX
Old 05-03-2003, 02:43 PM

With you guys.

I always try and start my overtaking manoeuvre a good 4-5 car lengths back while the oncoming traffic is still in the way. My goal is to reach the car in front at roughly that same time as the gap in the traffic on the other side of the road does.
When done correctly you can approach the car at speed (safe of course), overtake, and be back on your side of the road much quicker. The timing is the key. It's always gives me a when my timing is spot on.
As mentioned this also provides much better visibility.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:55 PM

2nd gear, right up the others cars arse, jink out and blast horn

Actually because the 'S' is quite low, I would hang back, use third, pull out, pause so the car is front realises my
intention, then accelerate - I should be hitting VTEC just as I reach his back bumper.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Fletch
I always try and start my overtaking manoeuvre a good 4-5 car lengths back while the oncoming traffic is still in the way.
Very similar myself. If there is no obvious hazard ahead, I will sweep out in 3rd. If I am not sure, I wait in 2nd with a shorter run up as a flying run up can make aborting it a hazard some times too. A RVM full of a closing S2000 gives him an advance notice of a manoeuvre if he doesn't see the indicator.

My other thoughts after deciding if it is safe to go are:

1. check mirrors in case someone else might be thinking of passing me at the same time
2. be VERY careful as I cross the white lines if it is wet
3. be prepared for someone to join the traffic from the opposite direction, e.g. pulling out of driveway etc.

I have said it before, so here I go again. At a SM someone is going to get hurt because of 1 and 3. I have made some questionable driving choices on a SM myself, but let's be careful out there.

PS I reserve the right to mention this yet again in the future to keep us all alive!
Old 05-04-2003, 12:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not forgetting to indicate your intentions!!

Quick Reply: Overtaking