UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ouch! - may need to borrow a W.Mids s2k owner!

Old 07-15-2002, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouch! - may need to borrow a W.Mids s2k owner!

Complete nightmare on Fri evening!

- lost the back end going into a corner (seeking to avoid a kamikaze cat dashing into my path) and before I could correct the passenger side rear wheel gave the kerb an almighty whallop.

Wheel, suspension, tyre damage definite....probably axle too...hopefully not chassis...but I did see a slight ripple in the bootlid paintwork - not optimistic about that.

Anyways - it's an insurance job and is now being piggy-backed to Gemini in Stratford on Avon (anyone used 'em?). My worry is that when (if ) they give it back that I won't be able to tell 'til it's too late if they've @rsed up the susp gemoetry etc.....presuming they've even heard of an s2000 before!!

If I offer a few beers and a whole load of thanks is it poiss I could borrow one of my more mechanically-minded s2k owners when I pick it up?
....as I probably won't be able to spot any subtle changes.....

(at least I can get some unscuffed alloys, Eagle F1's and the big scratch off the boot)..]

not a happy bunny.

Old 07-15-2002, 05:37 AM

Sorry to hear about your mishap - how long do they reckon it'll take to fix it?

Alex.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:39 AM

A#se! Bad luck with that, I'm sure if you prompt them about the criticality of geometry on the S2000 they'll get it right for you.

Hope you are back on the road in a nice shiny S soon

Tif
Old 07-15-2002, 05:44 AM

thanks guys...

they haven't assesed the damage yet - they said they'll call me this pm or tomorrow am....

...i think I may well be forwarding the mechanics every bit of relevant material I can lay my clammy hands on!

cjn
Old 07-15-2002, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, cnicho. Bummer

I f*cked up a wheel too, yesterday, but at least I only gouged/scratched mine You stupid, careless git, EVANS!
Old 07-15-2002, 05:47 AM

Had a horribly similar incident about 3 weeks ago which saw me needing a complete new rear right suspension (clipped kerb like you then went into ditch !!!).

Mine was repaired by Howard Basford in Leamington Spa, who did a really good job. I reminded them about the need to get the specific S2000 S-02 tyre and that the suspension needed to be set up correctly using the correct equipment.

They got the correct tyre and gave me the alignment print out when I collected the car (having had the local Honda garage do the set-up, to the new 2002 spec).

If you prompt them on this they will hopefully be as good?

Matt
Old 07-15-2002, 07:11 AM

Make sure they have the 4-wheel alignment equipment and that they use it (as mentioned, get them to give you a print-out).

If they can't do that they shouldn't be messing with the car....
Old 07-18-2002, 11:52 PM

Greetings all,

Quick update on the damage to the car....the guy at Gemini Stratfor-on-Avon seemed really nice and seemed to know what he was talking about and assured me they had very modern 4 wheel alignment equipment and has the new s2k geom settings...and that the chassis was fine - apparently Honda are very good at designing suspension that detaches at significant impact so it doesn't bend the chassis...

so - the car needs entire new rear suspension, a new door, new rear/off panel, 2 new rear alloys, refurb passenger side off, 2 new rear tyres.....

...and he also said that because most of the bits required were 'bolt-ons' and that it should only take 4-5 days once they have the bits...which is up to Honda UK....anyone know how good Honda are at such things???

so, overall quite pleased as I was assuming the worst...and I also get to replace the Avon's I had on the back (they were like that when I bought it) with some new S03's...

we'll see......
Old 07-18-2002, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by cnicho
so - the car needs entire new rear suspension, a new door, new rear/off panel, 2 new rear alloys, refurb passenger side off, 2 new rear tyres.....
Ouch!

Note to self: in the event of meeting a kamikaze cat similar to that encountered by Cnicho, run the bugger over rather than risk having to take avoiding action and having the same thing happen to me!!
Old 07-19-2002, 01:27 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally posted by cnicho
...and I also get to replace the Avon's I had on the back (they were like that when I bought it) with some new S03's...
cnicho,

Glad you're happier now but you might not be when you see the bill

BTW you need to check a bunch before asking for S03s. If you really want to go that route make sure you fit 245 tread width. The stock S02s are S2000-specific and put down a wider footprint even though nominally 225s.

Best advice (and there is a TON of it in here, just search on tyres) is, don't mix make/type front and back; stick to the specific S02s (expert drivers rate Eagle F1s); stick closely to recommended 32psi (again experts run a bit harder); BUT same all round or handling can go off.

Not much use now, but properly shod you might not be in this situation

Cheers,
Rog

Quick Reply: Ouch! - may need to borrow a W.Mids s2k owner!