UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ouch! Clutch advice pleeeeeeease!

Old 03-15-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouch! Clutch advice pleeeeeeease!

Hi all,

Ok there is a bit of a back story to this so please excuse me but I'd be HUGELY appreciative of any advice...

Ok so my clutch just hasn't seemed right for a while now and the issue has gradually been deteriorating.

Brand new clutch kit was fitted by Honda by previous owner 22k / 2yrs ago

The clutch 'bite' is erratic and seems to be at a different point on the pedal every time it's depressed and brought back up again which makes the way it drives......interesting. Damn frustrating and annoying actually. It appears notchy on the pedal and not progressive.

Clutch fluid was black so clutch fluid was changed some time ago, made a slight difference but soon came back.

Discovered the clutch slave cylinder was leaking so had that replaced (thinking this could be pulling air into the system resulting in erratic pedal) along with ATE race fluid and this made it even worse. It would appear that the extra pressure on the clutch has resulted in the car basically becoming undriveable. Clutch is SUPER notchy now and car jerks about. Clutch pedal requires a lot to depress it compared to before and I'm easily missing gears when I never did before.

Vibration from rear - driveshaft cups swapped which made 70% of the vibration go but still there at higher revs.

Given these parameters, I have been advised that there must be a problem with the clutch and the gearbox needs to come out to have a look at everything. I think the release bearing (due to push system) has crap in it and isn't sliding as it should and has little or not grease.

What are people's thoughts? It's looking like gearbox out, new clutch kit and release bearing which means MONEY and good god I've spent a lot on her recently already.

Thank you guys and girls in advance...
Old 03-16-2014, 01:25 AM

Have you checked the clutch master cylinder?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Have you filed and greased the push rod, pulled and greased the release fork
Old 03-16-2014, 03:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely try the ball and cup method on the clutch slave cylinder/pushrodsclutch fork mentioned above. Made a huge difference to everyone that's tried it, including myself.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:47 AM

Everything has been greased but I must admit checking the ball and cup on the master cylinder is not something I've done. That is certainly a bit different as well and cheaper and easier than getting the box out!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:58 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WRCGooseS2K
Everything has been greased but I must admit checking the ball and cup on the master cylinder is not something I've done. That is certainly a bit different as well and cheaper and easier than getting the box out!
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/817..._fromsearch__1
Old 03-17-2014, 10:33 AM

Ok so update!

Today car had its gearbox out and turned out everything was dry, no grease on the release bearing at all and that was the cause of the clutch lack of smooth progression. Given that the clutch was fitted by a Honda dealer 20k ago, that is very poor workmanship indeed.

It now has a new clutch kit, ATE brake and clutch fluid, driveshaft cups changed, braided lines, new Brembo discs and pads and new slave clutch cylinder.

Not all of this was done by TGM, some done by myself but needless to say my bill was eye-watering
Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Examples like this shows you shouldn't trust any old main dealer and only use a dealer that has a good reputation. But I will only use TGM as long as I own a Honda, they are awesome. Having just paid a rather large bill with TGM I do sympathise with you! At least you can drive your S with no troubles now
Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Childsy
Examples like this shows you shouldn't trust any old main dealer and only use a dealer that has a good reputation. But I will only use TGM as long as I own a Honda, they are awesome. Having just paid a rather large bill with TGM I do sympathise with you! At least you can drive your S with no troubles now
She'll be purring for the track day
Old 03-17-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WRCGooseS2K
She'll be purring for the track day
I must join you one day! Not track ready yet mind you!