UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Other Road Users

Old 02-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moff,Feb 21 2006, 04:17 PM
I drive as fast as anyone else on A roads, country roads etc but I like to think that I understand that the public road is not my personal race track and we all have to share the roads with:

- other cars - some being driven badly
- caravans
- cyclists
- mopeds / scooters
- horses
- walkers
- other animals, even sheep, deer

Most of them unfortunately do not share or understand or joy of motoring. Many of them cannot react to the speed we are driving.
Which is why I treat them as obstacles.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Bada Bing!,Feb 21 2006, 03:17 PM] Don't think the Saxo/Burberry thing was very nice though, in jest or otherwise.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by ade73,Feb 22 2006, 02:00 AM
Deffinatly a CHAV

You might grow out of it eventually

ex-Times 22/02

"SO, WHICH ONE ARE YOU ?

Reckless
Fast, impatient and prone to taking risks, reckless or careless drivers worry less about accidents and seek stimulation and sensation at the wheel

Anxious
Fearful, doubtful and lacking in confidence, anxious drivers often commit silly mistakes by being easily distracted at the wheel. They try hard to find ways of relaxing to reduce distress

Angry
Hostile, easily aroused and aggressive, the angry driver has no time for other road users and is an episode of road rage waiting to happen

Careful
Patient, polite and well-prepared, the careful driver finds out where to go and feels no time pressure to get there. Problems along the way are met philosophically"

Old 02-22-2006, 02:56 AM
reg

Originally Posted by mikerich,Feb 22 2006, 02:28 AM

ex-Times 22/02

"SO, WHICH ONE ARE YOU ?

Reckless
Fast, impatient and prone to taking risks, reckless or careless drivers worry less about accidents and seek stimulation and sensation at the wheel

Anxious
Fearful, doubtful and lacking in confidence, anxious drivers often commit silly mistakes by being easily distracted at the wheel. They try hard to find ways of relaxing to reduce distress

Angry
Hostile, easily aroused and aggressive, the angry driver has no time for other road users and is an episode of road rage waiting to happen

Careful
Patient, polite and well-prepared, the careful driver finds out where to go and feels no time pressure to get there. Problems along the way are met philosophically"
I see varying traits of all of the above. Have 'cured' some of them after aquiring a race license
Old 02-22-2006, 03:03 AM
Banned

I'd say I'm Reckless and Careful, despite the contradiction.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:10 AM

I'm recklessly angry

No really, I am
Old 02-22-2006, 04:46 AM

Hmmm. Lot of contradictory attitudes here - an illustration that humans drive in different moods from one day to the next, perahps?

My take is this: Th roads are there for other citizens to travel along, and they can do so however they wish. If they break the law, that's a different question, but personally, if I'm approaching a blind corner (and by that, I mean that I can't see the tarmac ahead) I drive at a speed that would allow me stop should there be a cycist/hole-in-the-road/mine field there.

I drive for the pleasure of driving - everything from pootling along narrow country lanes, the engine echoing off dry stone walls, to trying to average 90 along my favourite open stretch of fell road. But always, ALWAYS consider other road users. If they're old, well, we'll all be old soon enough. If they're tossers, let them toss their way up the road and out of your life. Horses? I'd love to find the time to learn to ride - good luck to 'em. Cyclists - used to cycle for 20 years before I eventually decidied to get my license. If I could cycle 300 miles in a day with kids in tow, I'd do it.

Being irrate with other road users is pointless, even if they 'nearly' kill you. Basically assume that every other road user will go out of their way to kill you given half the chance, and you end being pleasently surprised 98% of the time.

OOooohhhmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:39 AM

I have to agree with the above poster. I used to ride a motorbike across London and when I first started I found everyone was 'trying to kill me' I had a couple of big accidents and now I've slowed down a bit. Now I'm not slow, maybe only 5-10% slower but this can make a huge difference.

Funily enough the amount of people trying to kill me has dropped right off too. If your having 'moments' when driving, your driving too fast for the conditions.

This doesn't mean you have drive slow or even to the limit but just anticipate other road users better and drive accordingly
Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 AM

Moonie and Rawhide - both spot on!!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:57 AM
SBC

Originally Posted by AdrianEagle,Feb 21 2006, 07:32 AM
I've only read the first post. Apart from the atrocious language, probably due in no small measure to a total lack of vocabulary, I have formed the opinion that the writer has a massive chip on his shoulder.

He realy sums up his own position and I agree - he is (or appears to be) a selfish product of the playstation generation.

He is biggotted and arrogant in the extreme and thank goodness that I haven't come across him on the oepn road!

Just because you drive a fast car, pay your road tax and insurance it does not entitle you to the freedom of the road! Grow up!

Either this is a troll or you need to get some help before you kill or injure someone.

Quick Reply: Other Road Users