UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Other Road Users

Old 02-21-2006, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lane discipline is awful in this country - I used to try and hint that I wanted to pass (indicator on, quick flash of the lights etc) but it doesn't work - best to drop it a cog or two, breeze past on the inside and obstruction gone.

Officer.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:58 AM

Don;t get me started on bloody horses

If someone wants to ride one of those things around byways - fields - tracks and lanes then good luck to them.

To take a horse and ride it on a main roads though...where you know cars will be driving...at speed...is just irresponsible.

I used to slow down for them like a good boy but have found that especially here in Sussex - the riders are so fcuking arrogant - " One has just as much right to use the road......." Well you don't Mrs...take the thing to a field.

The only time I give way to these idiots who deny progress is when I think my vehicle may get damaged.......its their choice to use the roads after all.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:02 AM

Drove up from Bournemouth to Manchester today, and had all manner of annoying road users.

Best one was a complete tosser in an Evo 8 - lights on the motorway flashing indicating that there was congestion ahead - he was weaving across every single lane booting it so his exhaust popped every 15 seconds.

Passed him when we got into the congestion and he was stuck in his lane tho

Also came across more middle lane sitters than I would care to mention.

It always amuses me on long drives from one end of the country to the other how different areas have more of one type of annoyance than the other - south for example has more middle lane sitters - up north near manchester - more Evo and Scooby pillocks

-foolycooly
Old 02-21-2006, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Feb 21 2006, 04:52 AM
I'm with Gad on the horse thing. I had one of my biggest ever moments on a country road when I lived in Northamptonshire.

I was piling along this country road (in my then company Cavalier SRi ... ), hurtled round a blind bend to be greeted by two horses trotting along in my lane. Had to swerve and brake to avoid them, which of course unsettled the car, causing me to fishtail down the road. Only just held it and had the old "jelly legs" sensation all the way home.

I can't even remember if the horses reared up or unseated their riders, but I realised immediately how incredibly stupid I'd been and how, had there been an oncoming car, there might have been carnage.

Since that incident, I've always tried to be a bit more circumspect in areas where there might be horses and always now follow the Country Code, giving them a wide berth ...
LoL been there, done that I live near the moors unfortunatly there is this lovely stretch of roads with cambered bends, hairpins, short straights and s bends, enough room for two cars or 1 to make maximum use of the road available...

I was out vtecing it, after a nice hair pin i got a little wiggle onto a short straight leading to a sweaping left bend, half way round the bend i find a group of walkers

I didn't want to upset the balance of the car, and i thought the vtec sounded quite nice, not sure if they did...

I do look back and think that i could have hit them if some thing got out of shape but there is 5000miles of moors they can walk on and they choose to walk on the road!! lol sod off, its my road
Old 02-21-2006, 04:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Feb 21 2006, 11:41 AM
this mentality disappears on urban streets as you need to think much more about letting people out at junctions, people turning and pulling out without indicating etc.

One thing I really object to sharing NSL roads with are horses and pedestrians walking their f*cking dog! Far too often have I come round a blind bend on a NSL lane only to be met by some f*cking muppet wearing dark clothes with his mutt in tow.
Bit of a contradiction there Gaz, if its a blind bend and something is at the other end of it then its the same situation as a junction or unexpected kids or such.

I live where this type of road is the norm and there are no paths, so where would the people walking dogs ect go?

Not being harsh but it sounds like you need to grow up and respect other people around you and take more notice of the situation.

Maybe when you have got a few points under your belt and have been in a big crash or two you will learn.

Or go back to driving a Saxo round car parks wearing burbury
Old 02-21-2006, 04:30 AM

Slow moving pedestrians/tractors/cyclists/horses are accidents waiting to happen on the road, but you can't deny them the right to use it.

You just have to adapt your driving style and anticipate, so that you pick up the signs early and are able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. If you have control of a sportscar and can't acquire this aspect of advanced driving you really shouldn't be on a public road at all.

Statistically, one day there will be a very nasty accident involving an S2000 (on a meet or otherwise) coming around a blind corner and running into a horse/cyclist/pedestrian. You can imagine the ensuing publicity, court case etc etc so it will have repercussions for everyone.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:38 AM

Isn't the point of Blind corners that YOU CAN'T SEE ROUND THEM AND SHOULD SLOW DOWN ACCORDINGLY?

Just thinking aloud.....
Old 02-21-2006, 04:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by foolycooly,Feb 21 2006, 02:02 PM
It always amuses me on long drives from one end of the country to the other how different areas have more of one type of annoyance than the other - south for example has more middle lane sitters - up north near manchester - more Evo and Scooby pillocks

-foolycooly

I've just got back from Yorkshire - there are beautiful, sweeping, open roads in good condition, yet the majority grovel along, dither, stop at empty roundabouts, etc.

One learns to accept it and to drive round it.

A good road safety technique is to realise that there is a proportional relationship between road user & intelligence; If BMW/M-B drivers are follow-the-herd non-thinkers, one can at least trust them to be relatively high up a dim list. People too stupid & too poor to have one should be treated with greater circumspection.

Similarly horseriders are stuck in a previous century and should not be challenged with motion, electricity, enlightenment etc. They will think you are an agent of the devil for mastering such trickery, anyway.

Pedestirans are so very moronic & poor, they cannot even pass the driving test, or master boarding a bus. Do not assume they can walk competently either.

Remember your car is able to brake spectacularly and quickly re-accelerate again.

None of the above can, so it's best if you try to do so for them.

Happy thrashing!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:58 AM

I used to do a LOT of motorway driving in my MR2 .. I was either on full throttle or stuck in traffic ..

Now in the S2000 I commute through town in traffic jams, the only enjoyment is the "traffic light GP" on a short bit of dual carridge way, and a shop with a reflective front window.

But on a weekend I enjoy nothing more than going out with the lads and blatting the country lanes. Found out horses *LOVE* BOV's and Vtec .. they stand up and tell you .. (we don't need horses anymore, we have motorbikes and tractors).

And track days havent helped .. I've been to Nur' twice now, and I drive like a man possessed the month leading up to it and the 3 months after ..
Old 02-21-2006, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shipley,Feb 21 2006, 12:58 PM
Don;t get me started on bloody horses

" One has just as much right to use the road......." Well you don't Mrs...take the thing to a field.
being one of thos c*unts on horses and also a cyclist

I am hoping most of the aggression and ignorance displayed in this thread is just keyboard heroics ,

just take care guys , as one day you may just meet a rider who will display the same attitude and aggression to you .

Drive safely children

Quick Reply: Other Road Users