UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

One step closer to Big Brother?

Old 11-16-2005, 04:22 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts
Default One step closer to Big Brother?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/15/ve...ement_database/

christ.... no wonder all my mates are emigrating.. or maybe that's just down to my personal odour problem ?

Old 11-16-2005, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That just sucks, plain and simple
Old 11-16-2005, 07:12 AM

"But the proles, if only they could somehow become conscious of their own strength, would have no need to conspire. They needed only to rise up and shake themselves like a horse shaking off flies. If they chose they could blow the Party to pieces tomorrow morning. Surely sooner or later it must occur to them to do it? And yet -----!"
Old 11-16-2005, 07:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

50 million number plates a day by year end
That is a *lot* of data to collect and would take a hell of a lot of computer power to process.

What worries me is that the govenment are now saying that the environment suffers if people drive above 70mph and I have the feeling that this will be their next excuse for more cameras/enforcement
Old 11-16-2005, 07:40 AM

Yup,

"'Speed Kills' is wearing a bit thin, let's try the environment....."
Old 11-16-2005, 08:59 AM

How's a change of Gov't going to prevent something like this?

Sounds to me like a license to print money if they could use it to track excess speed, etc. IMO no Gov't would object to that!

Give it another 20years and we'll all be implanted with electronic chips...
Old 11-16-2005, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, another govt organised system that involves the use of computers & quite probably necessitates the development of some new software to assimilate all this data.

Lets see what benchmarks they have to measure against.....

CSA system.................er....fell on its arse in the first month & then abandoned.
ATC system.................er.....fell on its arse straightaway. God knows if its sorted or ever will be.
Ambulance call out system.............er..fell on its arse soon after launch.
Congestion charge system...............er.....ok it didn't exactly fall over but it was full of teething problems.

We'll be ok. Its the govt, they couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel.

Ed
Old 11-16-2005, 10:53 AM

erm.. before we all cry in our beer about this and shout foul, this is really another good scare mongering story from the register.
This type of infrastructure and supporting legislation would form a major infringement on peoples privacy and personal movement. Would also infringe european legislation with regard to this.

The civil rights group would have a field day with this, as this is tantamount to tracking peoples movement. The strength of these organizations would rally the call to defend the position, and once the people understand that the government is tracking your movement in the car (if the technology actually worked which I doubt) then there would be revolt.

For instance they cant even track criminals with tags, with the technology available, and this is restricted due to civil rights issues. The methods of appeal like the European court would tie up any potential for this for years. So the long and the short of this is that it ain't gonna happen without a big battle!!!

It might get passed as legislation but not in the life time of this government.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by UK_S2000,Nov 16 2005, 05:59 PM
How's a change of Gov't going to prevent something like this?
if they know they'll get in if they scratch sh1t like this then they will..

means to an end but we've had this govn for too long.. they're starting to disappear up their own arce

for democracy to work you must change the administration regularly

good point by Ed though.. I feel better now i'll get off my hypothetical high horse (it was scary up there anyway cos i could see straight through it )
Old 11-16-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's more the idea of sticking more half-baked crap on top of all the other 1/2 baked crap they've rolled out in the past few years.

I am beginning to feel that these politicos do need to be brought down to reality somehow.

It's not VTEC that corrupts absolutely!

Quick Reply: One step closer to Big Brother?