UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

One of life's mysteries

Old 12-16-2003, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One of life's mysteries

was in Sainsbury's Cobham last night and I counted a large number of BMW Z3's....

As I walked towards the entrance I thought........."Why in hell are the residuals so good for a car that gets slated so heavily by the journos?, especially now the Z4 is out which the journos love?"

Can it be that the Z3 is actually not as bad as suggested?..anyone driven one as I've only been a passenger and frankly I didn't think it was that bad
Old 12-16-2003, 03:33 AM

Never been in one, but a mate of mine has, and says it's a very comfortable, powerful car.

Not sure that's what I want in a roadster though........
Old 12-16-2003, 03:45 AM

I drove a 2.2 Z3 for 2000 miles all across New Zealand. Well built, performance ok-ish (0-60 in 8ish), annoying traction control that I ended up turning off anytime I wanted a bit of fun Nowhere to put my left leg which was annoying and unconfortable (ok on long roads in NZ when you can put your foot under the clutch pedal but wouldn't be safe in this country). Manual roof. Needed 6th gear. Chassis probably suits the power of the 2.2, however I'd like to try a Z3M!

Generally, I thought it was not a bad car. Pleasant and easy to drive and a bit of fun. Not a patch on the S2000 though. Although it was my first 'proper' experience of a roadster type car so it could be argued that that's what got me into the S2000
Old 12-16-2003, 03:47 AM

there are obviously a lot of hairdressers in that area?
Old 12-16-2003, 04:49 AM

It came out well in the recent Top Gear user survey, though not as good as the 'S'......
Old 12-16-2003, 05:47 AM

A friend of mine had a 1.8 and I drove it a couple of times. Engine revved freely to the red line and the chassis felt very good at that power level.

But - it felt pig slow and it's absolutely tiny inside - you literally rub shoulders with the person next to you. And the plastic chrome trim round everything is just nasty.

I was behind one this morning and it struck me how dated it looks from the rear now - very much like a mark 1 Granada in fact
Old 12-16-2003, 09:46 AM
MrV

Originally posted by STAVLAD
there are obviously a lot of hairdressers in that area?

and chaps that like to cottage as well
Old 12-16-2003, 10:07 AM

Passenger in a 2.0 roadster last night. Most striking thing as i sat in it, was how low the door seemed bymy side i.e. top of door aligned half way down my arm rather than at shoulder height in the S. Also the door seemed to be a bit flimsy when opening and closing. Dash seemed ok but a little too much acessories for my liking (heated seats, bum hair platting device )

performance was ok but sounded a bit wheezy. looks wise, awful from just about every angle.

In summary, i would say it shouts "focus group compromise vehicle".

Very mediocre.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've been in my mate's 2.2 Z3 - it's ok - not a spot on the S, and he says so too.

Yes HE IS a hairdresser. FACT.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Bit of an oddball, the Z3.

Very draughty at any speed, due to the low waistline.

The 4-pots have their ass whipped by the MX-5 in most departments, especially as Z3's have got wheels like road rollers.

The 6-pots are more like it, but wobbly body/suspension causes most drivers to complain about the handling.

As you can tell, I've never taken to it, which is a pity.

Quick Reply: One of life's mysteries