UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The old "indicate and move at the same time" ploy

Old 03-15-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd still recommend a geo. I've had a similar type bump, and my geo was off quite a bit... The S is quite sensitive on the geo front. If it's off even sllightly, the insurance would pay. Besides, a non-laser alignment (which can be fine if done by skilled people ie a Master Tech) doesn't cost that much. Maybe
Old 03-15-2006, 07:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grahamb,Mar 15 2006, 03:34 PM
So I asked the insurance about that and they said I could obviously go ahead and do it, but if nothing were wrong, I'd have to pay for it
Four wheel geometry is not something that you can check visually. I don't know, but I would have thought that an impact such as the one your car took is bound to have affected the alignment.

You own a performance sports car and the handling is a major part of the driving experience. I would contact your insurers and get them to insist that her insurers pay the sixty or so quid an alignment check will cost ...
Old 03-15-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grahamb,Mar 15 2006, 04:34 PM
The wheel's fine and my dealership have done a visual inspection of the suspension and all's good. So much so that a geo check would be chargeable as they don't think it was affected.

So I asked the insurance about that and they said I could obviously go ahead and do it, but if nothing were wrong, I'd have to pay for it
Even with that big scuff on the tyre?

I'm not convinced a visual check can show that an alignment isn't needed - it either needs to be driven or measured with lasers, shirley.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:15 AM

Old 03-15-2006, 07:19 AM

Phoning the ins.co. now to that effect as that was all with Helphire I've just realised. Now we've switched to my insurance company for the claim I'll talk to them about it.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:25 AM

Utter chimp reading from a script there There's some paperwork on its way through at the moment, so when that arrives I'll call them again and ask to be escalated straight away - cba dealing with it today
Old 03-15-2006, 07:30 AM

I would not accept a filler on the wing mate. Seriously. I don't know if you remember my Clio but it was repaired and 3 years later the paint was coming off from where it was repaired. You are fully entitled to a new wing, it is not your problem and I would demand one as such. Up to you though.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by rahula,Mar 15 2006, 05:30 PM
I would not accept a filler on the wing mate. Seriously. I don't know if you remember my Clio but it was repaired and 3 years later the paint was coming off from where it was repaired. You are fully entitled to a new wing, it is not your problem and I would demand one as such. Up to you though.
Sounds like it's being done on the cheap to me - did you choose the repairer?

If this happened to me I would take my car where I choose and insist that any damaged panels are replaced. I definitely wouldn't accept a filled wing!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:48 AM

It's the Honda Approved bodyshop used by my dealers.

I'm a little unclear about it actually as under "Repairs" it has "renew n/s/f wing" but then under parts it lists a wing too.

I'm giving them a ring on that anyway.

edit - it is a new wing. The formatting's a mistake on the estimate and "Panel Work: Renew N/S/F Wing" refers to a new wing, hence its inclusion in the parts list.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:52 AM

It does sound unusual that the insurer is "repairing" rather than "replacing" damaged parts. When someone drove into my parked Focus a couple of years ago their insurer insisted that anything that was damaged would be replaced. Especially as they can't give a complete 12 month guarantee on the work carried out unless it is replaced with a new part.

EDIT - After your EDIT, you can ignore the above

Quick Reply: The old "indicate and move at the same time" ploy