UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Which oil should I use? Does it really matter?

Old 11-10-2002, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which oil should I use? Does it really matter?

Hi all,

I noticed recently that my S2000 needed an engine oil topup and so dutifully checked the owners manual to discover I needed synthetic 10W-30. Having trawled several garages and failed, I finally accepted that I would use a Honda dealer and pay through the nose. However, having asked for the oil, the dealer gave me Mobil 0W-40. I double checked with them and was assured that this was the oil used in the workshop for my car.

As I have next to no knowledge of engines, can any of you more advanced individuals tell me what the difference is between 10W-30 and 0W-30 and does it really matter which you use??

Cheers,

Keith.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a high performance engine and a cutting edge one at that. Revving to 9k revs, I think you can safely say it definitely matters what oil you put in it.

The car should be run on non-synthetic oil till you've covered 7K miles or so, or the 9k miles for your first service. During that period you should only top up with non-synthetic oil. The reason for this is that the engine block is made of a mixture of alloy and fibre, and will be very porous compared to a normal block. It's very important to use non-synthetic oil during the first few months as those holes are gradually getting filled by the residue from the burnt/used oil, and the pistons and other moving parts are still bedding in.

Change to fully synthetic once you've covered the 7k miles or so. Which one is a matter of personal choice, but along with many others on the board, I use Mobil1 0W-40W and have done so in my last 3 cars.

Mobil 1 5W-30W and 10W-30W are slightly thinner than 0W- 40W, and are actually the viscosities recommended by Honda and by Mobil for the S2000. The reason is probably that being thinner oils they will be thinner at extremes of temperature (Both hot and cold) and flow better. VTEC is entirely dependent on oil pressure being hydraulically operated, which is probably the reason they recommend the thinner oil. It's also the reason you should check your oil at least once a week, or every time you fill up..... you simply cannot afford to ignore oil levels in this car.

Here's a link to the Mobil1 site which takes you to a page where I searched the most suitable Mobil oils for the S2000

http://www.prod.mobil1.com/index.jsp

I have no qualms about using 0W-40W and my dealer has none either, I always supply my own oils for services. The reaon I use 0W-40W is I don't have any outlets for the other viscosities locally, and I don't think the slightly thicker nature of the oil makes that much difference.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:14 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]This is a high performance engine and a cutting edge one at that. Revving to 9k revs, I think you can safely say it definitely matters what oil you put in it.

oThe car should be run on non-synthetic il till you've covered 7K miles or so, or the 9k miles for your first service. During that period you should only top up with synthetic oil.

I think he means only top off with non-synthetic oil, in the first 9k miles.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:17 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Dam cedric you're quick. good advice.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by billman250
Dam cedric you're quick. good advice.
I seem to spend a lot of time editing my posts these days!

I remember seeing a programme on TV set in Sweden, where the oil coming out of the sump at service had the consistency of thick stretchy toffee at those extreme low temperatures. Incredible to think that as the engine warms up that goo is capable of reconstituting itself into motor oil as we know it. It brings it home to you how much we expect of the stuff!!

If we had those extremes of temperature in the UK, which thankfully we don't, then I think the difference between 0W, 5W and 10W would be a lot more significant than it is in our temperate climes!
Old 11-10-2002, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another munro on the site