UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil reading

Old 12-21-2004, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you absolutely 100% sure that it's the oil pressure light that's flashing and not something to do with the brakes? Seems odd to me that an oil pressure light should flash when braking. It would be exceedingly unusual for a car to have an oil level light since the level is virtually meaningless when the oil is distributed around the engine.

My 406 has an oil level indicator but it measures the level on engine start and then turns itself off.

A lot of vehicles (please understand that I'm new to the S2k) have brake pad, brake pressure or brake fluid level lights. Some combine all faults into one light, some don't monitor them at all.

If you can get the light to flash reliably under any stationary conditions take a digicam in to the car and take a photo of the light. You can then compare it to the manual at your leisure. Or even ask some of the people on here, I hear some of them know a few things

If it's an oil pressure light and it's flashing under braking all I can think of is a fault in the sensor. Definitely get it in to a dealership. If the dipstick is showing good (and consistent) levels feel free to drive it there. If the dipstick measurement is low or inconsistent don't even consider driving it. Pay for a flat bed as 50 quid is a hell of a lot less than a new engine.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:22 PM
P 1

From my (2003) manual:

Page 60:
Low Oil Pressure (symbol = oil can)

" The engine can be severely damaged if this light flashes or stays on when the engine is running. For complete information see page 259"

Page 259:
The indicator should light when the ignition switch is ON (II), and go out when the engine starts. It should never come on when the engine is running. If it starts flashing, it indicates that the oil pressure dropped very low for a moment, then recovered. If the indicator stays on with the engine running, it shows that the engine has lost oil pressure and serious engine damage is possible. In either case you should take immediate action.

NOTICE
Running the engine with low oil pressure can cause serious mechanical damage almost immediately. Turn off the engine as soon as you can safely get the car stopped.

1. Safely pull off the road and shut off the engine. Turn on the hazard warning indicators.

2. Let the car sit for a minute. Open the bonnet and check the oil level (see page 150). Although oil level and oil pressure are not directly connected, an engine that is very low on oil can lose pressure during cornering and other manoevres.

3. If necessary, add oil to bring the level back to the full mark on the dipstick (see page 186).

4.Start the engine and watch the oil pressure indicator. If the light does not go out within ten seconds, turn off the engine. There is a mechanical problem that needs to be repaired before you can continue driving. (See Emergency towing on page 271)"

If the oil pressure light showed at all on my car, and the oil was up to the correct level, I would not drive it at all, and would get it in to the dealers asap.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by rahula,Dec 21 2004, 09:43 PM
Why don't people understand the difference between low oil level and low oil pressure? it isn't the same thing guys/gals. Trust me.
[QUOTE=StuartL,Dec 21 2004, 11:51 PM]