UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil reading

Old 12-20-2004, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil reading

The light has come on in My S to fill up with oil when under heavy breaking. I've been topping it up (1litre in 1300 miles ) Does any one know when the light comes on how low your oil is?

It may just be me (and probably is) but the reading you get on the oil stick is rubbish.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:23 AM

Are you measuring it when parked on a level surface? Are you measuring it either when cold or leaving it long enough after use to allow the oil to settle back in the sump?

I've always found the markings on the dipstick to be pretty accurate - 1X equates to around 100ml of oil.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:28 AM

Yep always level Mark. I've read the oil when completly cold, and after about 10-20mins after driving it, leaving it enought time to cool down.

I've obviously put alot of oil in my car so I am concerned, but I dont want to put to much in as I've been told thats just as bad as not having enough.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:32 AM

The light comes on just before your engine blows up - seriously

Ideally you should have a warm engine and leave it for a couple of minutes to settle. If you're measuring when cold make sure you haven't turned the engine over first or you'll have to wait for an hour or so for the cold oil to relocate. As Mark says make sure that you're on a level surface.

If you've been topping up regularly and have seen an oil warning light I would go and visit your dealers to be safe.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:33 AM

Hmmmm.

Well, so long as you're only putting a few 100ml in at a time and then taking a reading again, I wouldn't worry too much about overfilling. It's surprising just how much the car can get through, especially the older ones. A litre in a thousand miles isn't out of the ordinary.

Just be sure to check it at least once a week in case it does suddenly burn a lot.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when was the oil filter changed.... could be a combination of things.. a bit low level in the sump, clogged filter and oil surge caused by the braking.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:18 AM

Its a JDM and had the service at 36,000 miles, its now on 41,000. However problems with shipping means that its recenlty sat in Japan for a few months, plus the 5 weeks sitting on the boat, I'm sure it may need a little Tune.

Dear santa,

for Xmas could I please have an full service to my lovely S2000

Thank you

PS, if you have time a nice set of 17" Antra 309's would be nice
Old 12-20-2004, 09:34 AM

So how much is in it now Chris? If the dipstick is showing it as full, to the top of the X's, then assuming it has been measured properly it must be a faultly sender? I would get someone to look at it just to be safe.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:35 PM

the light only comes on to show not low oil level but oil pressure. If that is correct get it into HONDA ASAP before major damage occurs.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rahula,Dec 20 2004, 09:35 PM
the light only comes on to show not low oil level but oil pressure. If that is correct get it into HONDA ASAP before major damage occurs.
Damn, straight!!!

The it's a pressure light and it's a last gasp warning to tellyou to pull off the motorway before your engine pops. It'll go off when your oil pressure drops below something like 60Kpa where as your engine will need 300-400Kpa to run properly.

Hate to say this but there's a damn good chance your Con-rod bearings are already buggered. I'd get it checked out and the bearings replaced if they need it before you throw a rod through the side of the engine and bugger it completely.

Quick Reply: Oil reading