UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

oil pressure switch?

Old 02-07-2007, 02:32 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure Bibbs - on one hand they dont go wrong very often, and the situation above is quite rare - that a JDm engine would go into a UK.

But given the hassle of the above situation, I guess you could get a reasonable price for one

MB
Old 02-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys I was nearly losing hope.

Ok, what you can do if the bolt is there, is get hold of an oil pressure switch from a UK car and fit it to your block.

You would have to be careful and check whether yours goes all the way through. I suspect its a cap head (allen key fit) blank into the block. Are the holes there for the whole assembly shown above?

Will involve wiring direct to your ECU - I will have to dig my drawings out.
MB

I am sure the bolt goes straight through to the block, but will check that in the morning I will still have to get hold of a UK oil pressure switch shouldn't be a problem.

are you using the Jap or the EU ecu?

Maybe the Jap doesn't need the sensor to go over 6200, but the EU ecu does need it.

(The reason I mention the 2nd knock is it's the only other sensor change I'd read apart from the Vtec oil one)

Where in the UK are you?

I obviously have a Jap ECU if you wanted to test and are local.
Yes bibbs,

I am using a EU ecu with a JDM engine. Ive tried using a JDM ecu but had problems with the immob/alarm to start the car.

I live in Nottingham if thats any help.

I've followed the manual to try and sort this problem out, so have tested the vtec solenoid and that is OK. I have checked the screen, that is clean too. I also checked the other oil pressure sensor under the oil filter and that looks good too. so done must off the basic stuff.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 AM
MB

Im confused - so you do have an oil pressure switch?

Can you take a pic of it?

MB
Old 02-08-2007, 12:29 AM

How are UK car immobilised? As the Jap ECU doesn't have one built in.

If you were in Reading area, I was going to suggest putting my ECU in and seeing if it works.

Nottingham is a bit far

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:41 AM

In the dealer service manual it states there are 2 oil pressure switches one for the DASH LIGHT and one for the VTEC system. the vtec oil pressure switch has 2 wires coming off it and the other which is just below has 1 wire and is in the pic above. from research all s2000 have this oil pressure switch.

My car doesn't have a pressure switch next to the VTEC. (Hence the original question: where else can it it be? if there is one!!)

How are UK car immobilised? As the Jap ECU doesn't have one built in.
EU ECU's require some feedback from the Immobiliser. The ECU and the Immobiliser are Interlinked. One will not work without the other, they send OK messages to each other, Thats why trying a different JDM/EU ECU will not work (unless the immobiliser is removed - then only a JDM ECU will work. Not a EU ECU as they require a signal from the Immobiliser)

I have tryed both a JDM and a EU ECU. Both did not start the car. I think this is due to the installed immobiliser.

The ECU and Immobiliser are the originals. The Engine has only been changed from a UK to a JDM

I hope that makes some sense

regards
fame

Old 02-08-2007, 05:03 AM
MB

Ok, if that's what you have on your JDM engine then that's the same as a UK.

You said in your 1st post you dont have it?

MB
Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 AM

I can look tonight if it helps?

It'll take a bit of poking about as I've a sandwich plate under there too now.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:29 AM
MB

On a UK car, there are 2 signals in the ECU that are required for VTEC.

One is from the 25 pin B connector, pin 12 which is green / yellow and drives the VTEC solenoid valve. This is the big unit above the sensor in your pic above.

The second is from the 31- pin C connector, pin 10 which is blue / black and it detects that you are in VTEC (ie high oil presssure)

If the sensors on the JDM engine send their signal elsewhere or the ECU uses them in a different way then it will get tricky and you will need to wire them direct to the ECU pins above.

MB
Old 02-08-2007, 05:51 AM

Ok, if that's what you have on your JDM engine then that's the same as a UK.

You said in your 1st post you dont have it?
MB

Sorry I was editing my post whilst you replied.

I DON'T have the 1st oil pressure switch (the picture in my previous post).

I DO have the second oil pressure switch.

I agree with you on the solution of having a oil pressure switch installed and wired to the ECU.

I think the confusion started when figuring out how ther JDM engines measure the oil pressure for the VTEC if the dont have the 1st oil pressure switch like the UK cars have.

I will take some photos of my engine and upload them so you guys can see exactly what I mean

regards
fame
Old 02-08-2007, 06:08 AM
MB

Right now I get you.

So does your car have the bolt holes for the VTEC solenoid assembly?

This is the one at the top of your last pic.

How are the ports into the block blanked off?

MB

Quick Reply: oil pressure switch?