UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil in my Coolant....

Old 08-12-2003, 06:35 AM
GSi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick update

Just got back from a two week road trip to the South of France.

Clocked up approx 4000 km, temps up to 40C+ Not a single problem, coolant is fine, oil is fine, performance was fine.

Still a mystery to me , but if it managed to cope with mountain roads, hot hot sunny days with aircon on full blast, 10 hour driving stints (on way there and back) and my heavy right foot.. I figure it will be fine back home.

If anything crops up I'll update but seems to be fine again now.

Rob.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:36 AM
GSi

Hows about this for resurrecting an old post..

Anyway, it happened again and this time they agree that it's definately the head gasket.. so it's in for a couple of days of warranty (phew) work.

Will I have to take it easy for a while when I get it back? Whats the deal with a head gasket fault and is it likely to have screwed anything else up?
Old 10-27-2003, 08:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Thought I had a feeling of deja vu on this one!

Take it easy for a couple of days, until the gasket's resin adhesive sets. Other than that, there's no running in as such.

I should have thought that any damage done by water in the oil would have showed up by now.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:26 AM
GSi

It only went in this morning, so I guess they'll be halfway through and would have called me by now if they had found anything else.

Wait and see - I'm wondering if I'll get any better performance out of an intact engine...

Oh one more thing.. can coolant damage alloys? is it corrosive - IIRC it is..?
Old 10-27-2003, 08:41 AM

I take it you mean bit of the lump, not the wheels!

Sort of. The water is a good electrical conductor, so electrolytic corrosion between steel/ally parts is inevitable.

To avoid this (!) coolant MUST contain antifreeze (even in Arizona), because antifreeze contains corrosion inhibitors and lubricants.

Better performance? Unless the compression was badly down, I doubt it. It sounds like yours didn't have a cylinder sealing problem, more likely a leak between the coolant and water passages.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:48 AM
GSi

Cheers Nick.. I did mean corrosion on the wheels actually - I noticed it this time due to an oil/brakedust combo on my wheels where it's forced its way out of the system - which led me to check the rest of it.

I have some corrosion on the wheels - which looks like something has run down the leg of the alloy - rather than pitting in the corners. So I figured that maybe it was the coolant. Can't check now as I don't have the car, but I'll have a good look when they're done and maybe grab some pics
Old 10-27-2003, 08:54 AM

Oily lines on your wheels is normally caused by a mixture of brake dust (it is oily), water & road grime.

It often washes from the back of the wheel, if you don't clean them thoroughly. You need some spray wheel cleaner & a suitable nylon brush.

see www.Autofanatics.com

for examples.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:15 AM
GSi

Smee again!

Cut a long story short - the same problem is back after my dealer had the car for 4 days fiddling with the head (I think).

They have spoken to Honda UK Technical and based on the same thing happening to someone elses car, they have recommended changing the block.

So, Y56 is into Avondale again tomorrow. Hopefully this time it will remain fixed!

(all under warranty still )

EDIT: I also found this thread
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...p?threadid=8051
that seems to be somewhat related.