UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil in my Coolant....

Old 07-16-2003, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondered why you were going all the way to Coventry to have work done onthe car, that explains it

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:51 AM

FYI, I bought my S from newbury, and just had it serviced there.

Whilst you can't easily tell the quality of a dealership, I'd still praise them. They sell a lot of S's, have several on their forecourt, and offer Mugen modifications.

I'm sure a phonecall to them, without blaiming them, might be a good second opinion, if one is needed.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:19 AM
GSi

Yeah, was impressed with Fawcetts (Eric Ritchie) in Newbury and also with Avondale. Previous (company) car was a Vectra Gsi, so Honda Dealers are in a different league.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:06 AM
GSi

Right, finally got around to speaking to Avondale (my delay not theirs..)

They say they have done a block check(?? assume this is to see if it is cracked or something), took it for a 'good' test drive, checked the levels, waited an hour, another drive, another check.. All ok. Engine oil is all ok, no emulsion. Coolant level and color remained ok. All pressures ok.

I told him I was concerned about it as was off on a long driving holiday and didn't want it to fail in the searing heat. He said that they are as confident as they can be that it is ok.

So collecting it tonight, then will wait for it to stop raining before giving it a throughly good trashing around Warwickshire over the next few days to make sure its ok before setting off south.

I only found one other post on this problem - a guy from Spain - same problem, no other symptoms, just oil in coolant. His dealer said the same. Not sure about the final outcome, will have to see if I can track him down.

Will let you know how the Honda Care Euro assistance is if it fails on holiday
Old 07-17-2003, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately I would keep a very close eye on this

Possible reason for it oozing out the top is combustion gasses pressurising the coolant system. Over temp is a classic sign of blown head gasket or possibly porosity/crack in block (as suggested by several others) Can't explain why it would only happen once though and why you wouldn't have emusification of oil/water.

How far do you live from work? Possibly very slight leak, weathers hot oil might be very thin and searching for cracks more.

That's about as much as I can guess without coming to play with the engine
Old 07-17-2003, 10:05 AM

Just another thought

Have you ever had a problem with overheat or low coolant?

Wonder whether it could have warped the cylinder head....................still wouldn't explain why a once off though
Old 07-17-2003, 10:19 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Is the oil level in the sump correct?

It is a long shot, but possibly if was overfilled, the pump effect during VTEC may briefly overpressure the oil system in the bottom end, causing it to weep into the coolant tracts via the HG.

The HG rings round the cylinders would not be compromised, so it would not show a fault on the usual compression test.

Normally it is failure of those rings that causes combution pressure to force coolant into the oil causing mayonnaise as mentioned above. But this isn't a normal engine.

IIRC Radweld causes an oily film in the cooling system, but I would never recommend anyone using that in an S2K!
Old 07-18-2003, 05:10 AM
GSi

Picked her up this am, was beginning to miss out on the drive.

Work is only about 10 minutes away, but its a daily driver and I often go much further afield. The day I noticed it I had been on a 2.5 hour each way trip to Portsmouth, it was also v hot that day.

Anyway, turning off a couple of exits early from Avondale on my way to Warwick and taking a favourite 5 minute road I can confirm its all in working order. Will give the coolant & oil a once over before I drive home, but will have plenty of evening drives this week to make sure its ok. Just daily checks for a while I guess.

On the plus side, the 'non warranty' nature of the fault meant I had to cough up for a couple of parts (
Old 07-18-2003, 05:42 PM

Been chatting to a few people at work about this and we can't think of anything beyond the suggestions already made.

Still puzzled by the one off nature of the problem.
Also bemuzzed because it seems unusual to get oil in the coolant. Doesn't often happen that way around. Normally the coolant flow path is well clear of the high pressure oil section. This means that normally you get coolant in oil not oil in coolant.

If you find out any cause for this could you let me know

Cheers
Old 07-21-2003, 12:24 AM
GSi

Will do.. Although hopefully will never recurr.

Quick Reply: Oil in my Coolant....