UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil in my Coolant....

Old 07-16-2003, 02:17 AM
GSi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in my Coolant....

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

I noticed what looked like oil dripping from under the engine of my '01 Y (UK car) yesterday afternoon. It wasn't gushing out and I was in a rush to get home so drove home and took it easy on the way.

When I got home, I popped the bonnet to find what looked like oil oozing out of the top of my radiator overflow bottle.

Not being supremely technically minded, I thought that maybe it was dirty coolant and that there was some kind of problem with the system.

Took it to Avondale Honda Coventry today. They said that it might be serious as it could have been a blown head gasket or cracked block as there appeared to be oil in the cooling system.

Just got a call from them and they said that there is no dirty dark oil in the Radiator and that it only appears in the coolant bottle. They reckon the only way it could have got into the system was by someone pouring it in.

Needless to say that whilst I am not able to strip down a gearbox with one hand, whilst blindfolded. I do know where to put oil. Noone else has ever done any work on the car and the 18k service was performed by Avondale about a month ago.

Anyone got any ideas how this could have happened? or had something similar happen to them?

Needless to say, as it is 'not normally possible' the parts required are not covered under warranty...

Rob.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is bad.

Honda are correct. Either its been poured in or it has got in in someway, ie the cylinder hg has permited it.

Heaven knows why its in the filler bottle. How was it oozing past the top on the coolant filler?
Old 07-16-2003, 02:32 AM
GSi

They reckon that the headgasket was all ok and that they couldn't find any other fault with the engine - hence their conclusion that someone has poured it in.

It only oozed out as the system was very hot after a few hours on the road and was therefore trying to expand as much as poss.. I hadn't noticed it before because I usually park up and walk away for a long time - giving any oil a chance to dry and when I have come back I thought that it couldn't be mine..

Can't think how anyone could have poured it in... unless someone leaned in whilst I was parked up topless, popped the bonnet, opened the coolant bottle, then poured in some oil they had handy before putting the lid on and closing the bonnet.. surely would be easier to key it or something...

Very bemused as to how it happened, glad its not more serious but still concerned.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when I say `how was it oozing past` I mean, how was it getting past the cap? Was it ooozing when you opened it up or before?
Old 07-16-2003, 02:40 AM
GSi

sorry, thought by the power of thought you already knew that....

i didn't open it at all. it was forcing its way out (I assumed due the the pressure created by the heated fluids in the system after a long drive)

first time it was opened since i noticed it was this morning by the guy at Avondale.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you owned the car from new and only put oil in the correct place..there has to be something wrong with the coolant system...

how did they draw the conclusion that the head gasket had not gone.....just looking at the radiator is only one quick check which might not be conclusive..typically if stuff is in the overflow that is classic case of a blown gasket....the fact that it was coming out is proof of that because the system can't keep the engine cool. Where all the electric fans running??
Old 07-16-2003, 03:06 AM
GSi

Didn't notice the fans running... Only had 3 bars temp on the gauge too - even after a couple of hundred miles travel yesterday.

I didn't own the car from new, it was bought from a Honda Dealer in Newbury, then had it serviced in Avondale about a month back 18k service. They coolant was checked then and the service was apparently performed by their chief diagnostic technician - so limited room for errors there.

I will call them and double check that they have actually checked the head gasket and not just checked the contents of the radiator..

Off to south of france at the end of next week and don't fancy having the same problem recurr..
Old 07-16-2003, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is you can't really check the gasket without stripping off the head...hence they won't have done it. You need to do other checks first before you go that far...just surprised they stopped with the radiator.,
Old 07-16-2003, 03:25 AM

Do you have any white emulsion in the oil, that would indicate water going the other way, which is probably what they checked at the dealer.
As Kobe says, the only way to be sure that the HG is not compromised is to remove the head, but I would expect the temp. to be higher if that were the problem.

BTW - if you see a red S2k around Hungerford, give it a wave, it'll be me - I live down the road in Little Bedwyn
Old 07-16-2003, 03:39 AM
GSi

No white emulsion, in oil.. Engine oil looked clean.

Moved away from Hungerford now. Really must update my details! Leamingon Spa these days.

Don't recall seeing a Red S2k down Hungerford way, just a few silver.

Will give the dealer a call in a bit and let you know what they say.

Quick Reply: Oil in my Coolant....