UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil & Filter Change

Old 01-01-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil & Filter Change

Question, hopefully picking up my S2K next weekend. I was concerned that the last service cost £60 at a Honda dealer, and oil was £21.50. Ok the car only covers 2 to 3 K per year, so I think that it may not have had fully synthetic oil. If it has I want to know where they get it from. Anyway, it was serviced 1500 miles ago, and my first job is to change the oil. Recommendations on here seems to be Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W40, I will get a new filter from Honda.
Now a couple of questions, it appears that you need a filter wrench to turn it 7/8 of a turn or to torque figure. Halfords have a filter wrench link http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165469 , 76mm 14 flutes, as I have not got the car sitting here will this fit?, if not can someone recommend a wrench, I’ve got chain wrenches for removal, never had to tighten with a wrench before. Now having done the oil and filter change, I would normally crank it over, until the oil light goes out before starting. Allowing the filter to be primed and oil pressure established prior to the engine firing. Can this be done on the S2K, if so how?.
In general I know my way around cars, however this will be the first time Ive worked on the S2K and would appreciate some assistance.
Thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the 5w40 edge for the last 50k miles and all seems good. The filter I always tighten by hand (awaits flaming from the rest of the forum) but I can get it very tight with both hands and have never had a problem. It helps that I don't have the airbox hindering access I think.

I also usually fill the filter with oil before I fit it but I've always done that on all the cars I've had.

It's all very simple though, much like anything else.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:19 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Hello & welcome Rogc

That Honda service would only be "quich look over" did the paperwork show a filter as well as £60 is very cheap?

Spot on with the oil you will need 5.5L. How many miles has the car done? The first 6K ought to be mineral, after that the Castrol is fine, be prepared to top up regularly, check the level every fill up. One "X" on the dipstick = 100ml, always keep it to the top X.
I've used a chain wrench before but only to get the old filter off, they are pretty brutal! I'm not sure if the Halfords one will fit, best to get the filter first. I've used a wrench with a wide metal strap in the past but not on the S so can't comment on accesability.

Dont forgrt to get a sump washer from Honda when you get the filter, or check to see if one is included.

I dint think you need worry about priming first as the oil filter is above the sump so the engine is pretty drained down every start.

There is a nice solution to your whole question, take your S to a local independant with oil & filter in hand, they should only charge a tenner or so. And you won't have to worry about disposing of the oil.

It's very important to keep the oil up as once the oil light comes on whilst driving the engine is scrap.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:21 AM

Oh my Gary "what big hands you have!"
Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by richmc,Jan 1 2011, 12:21 PM
Oh my Gary "what big hands you have!"
All the better for getting filters on with

To be fair though, I do have fairly "sturdy" hands and have been doing it this way for the last 25 years on various cars without any issues.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 AM

I also get 8ltrs of oil at a time. Use what I need for the change and the rest for top ups. When I've used the full 8 then I change the oil and filter again.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 AM

You'll need the 80mm 15 flute cup. Please be aware that you'll need the larger oil filter (15400PCX004). My local honda dealer does not stock it, and insist that the S uses the same oil filter as the others. A lot of information on this forum about the big/small oil filter discussion.

I usually fill the new oil filter up as much as possible before fitting.

HTH.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by richmc,Jan 1 2011, 11:19 AM
There is a nice solution to your whole question, take your S to a local independant with oil & filter in hand, they should only charge a tenner or so. And you won't have to worry about disposing of the oil.
Except the local independent may well not tighten the filter properly.

I've got a wrench with a steel band that you tighten from the handle, and that works pretty well. There's a lot that are only designed to loosen the filter; in fact I bought 3 different types until I found one that was any use.

A quick search on a well known internet auction site reveals a 80mm 15 flute cup for £6.95.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jan 1 2011, 03:58 AM
Except the local independent may well not tighten the filter properly.
They will if you ask them nicely, and stand over them with a 10lb lump hammer, oops there goes my new years resolution to be nice!
And a happy new year Granny Dembo!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chain wrenches are pretty brutal and would probably damage a new oil filter. Have you considered a rubber strap wrench; there's plenty for sale on ebay.

Quick Reply: Oil & Filter Change