UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil Consumption

Old 07-19-2009, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption

Hi all, i've searched through the past threads, but can't find much about oil consumption in already bedded in cars...

I bought my S just under 2 months ago, and have done 2K miles. I've just done my monthly 'checks' (oil, tyres, etc) and noticed that the car has used nearly ALL of it's oil. The car has 42K on the clock, so is well bedded in. Is this one of those times where you call the Dealer and say "oi!", or is all the oil in 2K miles normal? (I hardly ever VTEC either!)

Cheers!
Old 07-19-2009, 05:24 AM

If you read the manual it says check everytime you fill up with petrol.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:41 AM

Hello mate, I'm a new owner too and I check my tyre pressures a couple of times a week...definitely not once a month!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 05:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil consumption is varied depending on each car, which is also found by other Type R Owners who have Civic's and Teg's.

From personal experience the better the quality of oil the less the car uses. MY stupid Honda dealer put in Shell Helix semi-syn at the last service and within about 6 weeks and 1500 miles the oil level had dropped to half way on the dip stick.

After changing it all to Mobil 1 It's only used the same amount in about 8 months since and about 7,500 miles more its used the same amount.

Next time I'm putting the best I can get in it, probably something like Silkolene Pro S.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Andy, as Spykee has stated, it depends on what oil Honda put in your car when they serviced it for you prior to your purchase - more than likely not the expensive stuff!

One of the best oils out there seems to be Castrol Edge and lots of people on here swear by it. I used it in my S for it's last service in November '08 and 4k later it has not used a drop even after a good VTECing session, and I still check my oil religiously ever week!

I know I am stating the obvious here, but good/expensive oil is far cheaper than a new motor and your S will/should use less of it
Old 07-19-2009, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's one of those "I've searched, but I can't find the anything on the topic that's discussed in every other post every single day"

I hope it hasn't used ALL of its oil or you probably wouldn't have an engine left. If you mean the bottom of the dipstick, then that's believable.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand S2k AP1's (2L engines) burn quite a bit of oil, and Honda does recommend checking your oil at *every* fill up. AP2s (2.2L engines) do not use as much oil. In Canada, Honda recommends a synthetic motor oil. Enjoy your car - I hope it "stirs your soul" each time you drive it.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by MickeyS2000,Jul 19 2009, 04:30 PM
I understand S2k AP1's (2L engines) burn quite a bit of oil, and Honda does recommend checking your oil at *every* fill up. AP2s (2.2L engines) do not use as much oil. In Canada, Honda recommends a synthetic motor oil. Enjoy your car - I hope it "stirs your soul" each time you drive it.
Not ALL ,in three years i've used less than a litre between services. Every car is different regardless of age .

OP change brand and check often untill you find one thats works with your car.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 AM

Ok all, thanks for the breating about not checking every time i fill up - I will do now

I'll replace the oil and keep an eye on it. Follow-on question would be... what oil rating should i go with, given the 10W-30 that Honda recommend is incredibly difficult to find? I've heard Mobil1 and Castrol Edge recommended. If anyone could give me an idea of the preferred rating, I'd be really grateful!

...I still think going from High to Low on the dipstick in 2K miles is excessive tho!
Old 07-19-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Technical FAQ's

Check out that link and scroll down to Oilmansi's guide to oil for full details off what to look for on the label.

Basically look for API rating of SM and a ACEA rating of A5 for the best quality though.

API of SL and ACEA of A3 are slightly lower grade in terms of quality but will still do the job. It all depends how much you want to spend but anything decent such as Mobil1 or Castrol Edge will cost you about

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption