UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil change DIY

Old 11-22-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could just jack the side up, much quicker.
Oh, and run the engine a few minutes - warm oil drains better.
And get some nitrilite or latex gloves.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 hours?

I just get mine hot - infact scratch that. I do an oil change after I have driven the car.

Jack under drivers side, undo oil sump plug into a big bowl. Lower car back to normal, take off the oil filter, lowering into the bowl and leave for 30mins.

Come back later, jack up car refit sump plug and lower back down after removing bowl.

10mins labour max
Old 11-23-2008, 03:11 AM

Not forgetting to replace the sump washer, or at least check and anneal it.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, i know 3hrs is a bit long. as it was my first time using the trolley jack etc, i was very paranoid with the procedure, hence taking every single step very slowly, and running back and forth to the computer to double check information.

i think most of my time is spent trying to get the car on 4 axle stands and cleaning up the mess. other than that, trying to undo the oil filter is a pain in the arse too in the awkward raised position.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Nov 23 2008, 12:11 PM
Not forgetting to replace the sump washer, or at least check and anneal it.
Whats one of them ?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:32 AM

Its the 50p part that can stop you trashing about
Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I replace mine every oil change, you might as well as they come free with the oil filter from honda!

I recently changed the sum plug as it was getting a bit tatty and old.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

erm er dont tell the other half, the cat litter tray is absolutly the thing for catching the waste oil, no ned to jack uo the car at all for the complete job !!!!

Quick wash out with jizer, bingo the cats love it
Old 11-29-2008, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, just did my gearbox oil change this morning.... not as straight forward as i have thought....

first thing, it took me like 30min to find a way to get the bolts off.... didn't expect them to be so tight...

next thing, to my surprise, when i took of the filler bolt, quite a quantity of oil came out. my car is level on 4 axle stand, and i thought the oil level should have been level with the lower edge of the bolt?? is this usual?

another thing about the filler bolt and drain bolt is that the existing washer is like screwed into the bolt rather than having a clearance. the existing washer also have a slight conical shape to suit the face of the hole. the new washers that i've got from honda are just flat on both sides. anyone had similar encounter?
in the end, i couldn't take off the existing washer, i just placed the new washer over it, hence reducing the embedment length of the bolt into the hole. Anyone thinks that it's gonna be a problem?

lastly, when i filled up with the new oil, i just use 1.5l and did not fill up until it overflow. will that be adequate?

wanted to do my differential oil too, but realize that i do not have a socket that suit the bolt head size..... oh well, another time....
Old 11-29-2008, 05:30 AM

Question

Originally Posted by plastic91,Nov 29 2008, 01:33 PM
Alright, just did my gearbox oil change this morning.... not as straight forward as i have thought....

first thing, it took me like 30min to find a way to get the bolts off.... didn't expect them to be so tight...

next thing, to my surprise, when i took of the filler bolt, quite a quantity of oil came out. my car is level on 4 axle stand, and i thought the oil level should have been level with the lower edge of the bolt?? is this usual?

another thing about the filler bolt and drain bolt is that the existing washer is like screwed into the bolt rather than having a clearance. the existing washer also have a slight conical shape to suit the face of the hole. the new washers that i've got from honda are just flat on both sides. anyone had similar encounter?
in the end, i couldn't take off the existing washer, i just placed the new washer over it, hence reducing the embedment length of the bolt into the hole. Anyone thinks that it's gonna be a problem?

lastly, when i filled up with the new oil, i just use 1.5l and did not fill up until it overflow. will that be adequate?

wanted to do my differential oil too, but realize that i do not have a socket that suit the bolt head size..... oh well, another time....
Oil level may have been high due to the last person filling it without letting it all drain down properly, or had the car on a gradient.

You need to get the oil level correct, have you seen the cost of a new gearbox?!

Go back and do it properly.
Fill until it runs out is the easy way.
Or dip with your small finger or a piece of metal in to see where the level is.

Doubling up washers is not good, but if it doesn't leak it should be okay this time.
What torque did you apply to the bolts?
Aluminium castings are particularly fussy and easy to strip or damage.

The rear diff IS an uncommon size but it is metric. (23mm or some odd thing)
I found an old Whitworth spanner size that fitted perfectly well enough.

Have another go and do it right.
Good luck

Quick Reply: Oil change DIY