UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil change DIY

Old 10-15-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. Thanks for the quick reply.

Now, all i need to do is wait for my trolley jack to arrive. If weather is fine, i might just do it this weekend.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:57 PM
eho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found another picture of the diff, as you can see, the top bolt is high compare to the side of the vehicle. also there arent much room there, you will find it difficult without the proper tools.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Just an observation, that may help some one who is about to change the gear box oil for the first time, to remove the drain plug try using a 3/8" socket drive, it appears to fit nicely. But of course use it at your own risk !!!!!!! I am sure there are many other ways, far safer and more professional than this !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As an aside, anyone other that dealers flogging MTF-3?
I hate to go begging as Im desperately trying to avoid Howards Honda.

Steve
Old 10-16-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Oct 16 2008, 04:34 PM
As an aside, anyone other that dealers flogging MTF-3?
I hate to go begging as Im desperately trying to avoid Howards Honda.

Steve
I was under the impression that LandRover stuff was the same - certainly is/was with MTF2.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 AM

Having had one disasterous episode with a landrover spell of owner ship i wouldnt put anything associated with that company within a hundred yards of my car !!!!!!!!! I go cold at the thought, what a complete load of scrap and piss poor engineering.

Great Ideas but such such poor engineering and assembly

Just an opinion

As i said when i wrote to the MD, brilliant off road, always off road in the garage!

Funny he never commented on that part of my letter LOL
Old 10-17-2008, 12:00 AM

ROTFLMA.

My Brother in law (was) is a Land Rover technician for years.
He still drives an old POS Range Rover.
His 'best' car is a Subaru.

He now runs his own garage business, nothing to do with Landies of any kind though!

As for fluids, may did allude to this. Nobody every proved it for sure.
All I know is the -3 is fully synthetic. It may well have its own additive pack however and I have seen it sold in bottles with a Honda part number.

Still looking for a retailer!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:47 AM

I wont say any more about Land Rover , my tale of wow would take a week to recount, cost them a fortune ! up shot was 4 years of LR warrenty and dealer took the car back for full book value at 4 years old! it was terrible.

Diff oil , I used Redline fully synth, Was a dodle to order online from Opie, delivered next day as i recall, and there were many alternatives available, of which there are a shed load of comments elsewhere here about, pays your money take your pic.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:56 PM

Yes, but I have also read as many threads of fubar gearboxes.
Some of these oils are no more than glorified engine oils.
I'm not sure I wish to experiment on an expensive 'box.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been almost a month now since i complete my investment in all the tools (trolley jack, axle stands, oil filter wrench, washers etc) required for the oil change, and today finally, the weather is clear enough for me to do some work outdoor, although it's freaking cold out there....

Anyway, since it is the first time doing the oil change, it took me quite a while to even the car up on the axle stands. prior to today, i've already made some timber blocks to raise the front up slightly in order to allow the jack to go beneath. When i got to the rear, it seems like the same situation applies. had to raise the sides to get some timber block beneath, then only jack from the central differential casing.

here's a photo of the underside near the front, which you can quite clearly see the engine oil drain bolt and the front jacking point. i'm sure it'll be of use to some of you that might want to explore diy.

My findings from todays work is:
- put loads of newspaper beneath the draining point and put some weights on all corners. strong wind is really annoying.
- do not place the oil container to close to the drain point, put it further to allow for the projection of the oil. half a feet away should be fine. keep an eye on the oil as the projection will decrease when oil level decreases, move container accordingly. my estimation was so wrong that oil is all over my toolbox and my driveway also, the oil container from halfords is slightly inadequate. the oil initial output is slightly more than the container hole could take.

Well, it took me a total of 3hrs to complete the oil change (including cleaning up, taking the car out for a spin etc). wanted to do the gearbox oil change as well, but it just got too dark. will need to wait for another clear weekend now.

Quick Reply: Oil change DIY