UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil change DIY

Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plastic91,Oct 13 2008, 05:49 PM
On a separate topic, i was wondering what is the safest way of jacking the car up? assuming i'm not using the central jacking points, only using the 4 sides jacking point,
Use the central jacking points, then put the axle stands under the side points. If you jack up at the side you can't get an axle stand in the right place (because the jack is there). Really you should only jack up at the side to change the wheel.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can place a stand under the chassis rails though.
I would do both at one end, otherwise you will be trying to jack a leaning car, i.e. even more weight to lift as the pivot is higher up.

Ron, I like the info. I will take a boat next time.
Same for Nuke plants, I wrote a lot of the MI as you guys call them
Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 AM
eho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I last changed my oil I only jack up the front or the back depending on which oil I am changing. What I did was jack the car up, undo bolt, lower car and leave it there for 10mins (surely all the oil will be out then ), jack up car again and fill the oil, lower car again to make sure no spilage due to over filling, jack car up again and redo bolt.

I will post the pic tonight when I get home.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Well I now comment as follows

1) I with draw all ealrier comments relating to my observations, comments and suggestions as I do not have any qualifiactions relating to my competance or othervise as an automotive engineer/technican/mechanic or any other such descrition that can be construed as competance in this field or endeavour.
2) You all need to be worried and maybe not sleep tonight as it appears some one has made an asumption that I am not either qualified or emploed in medical, avaiation or the nuclear industries, you should all be very worried about just what I might do next, my finger is poised
3) But taking on board the comments of others my car is booked into the Loacl dealers to have the oil changed, valve clearances checked etc etc by a competant qualified person, I dont want to be sued for negligance when my car fails or indeed have an insurance claim thrown out as a result of works being carried out on my car by an unqualified person!
4) Any suggestions as to how to, where to, what to or other wise instruct any other persons must only be done by a qualified person and that person must be under the supervision of a qualified person at all time until such time as they are indeed proved to be competant and qualified to carry out the tasks for which they have been trianed
5) So i presume that all of the comments seen here are being made by suitably qualified persons, who in the event of an accident or other mishap occuring as a result of thier comments, instructions, suggestions or other wise will accept full liability , off course they all carry third party liability and qualifications so no problems there then!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will return to my rocking chair with pipe cardy slippers and the lastest issue of the Ramblers Times ( No offnect o ramblers, just making a small quip at the expense of stero types ) Is there such a publication i wonder ?

Off to quick fit now to get my tyre pressures checked and my windsreen washers topped up.

Tongue in cheek, firmly
Old 10-14-2008, 01:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Who was it that lost their car to a fire caused by a oil filter coming loose?

Sidewaysonfire?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Oct 14 2008, 10:09 AM
Who was it that lost their car to a fire caused by a oil filter coming loose?

Sidewaysonfire?
Not sure if his caught fire , but i know burnie has had 2 filters come off it may even be three.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=m1bjr,Oct 13 2008, 11:15 PM] You can place a stand under the chassis rails though.
I would do both at one end, otherwise you will be trying to jack a leaning car, i.e. even more weight to lift as the pivot is higher up.

Ron, I like the info. I will take a boat next time.
Same for
Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 AM
eho

Sorry for delay, here are the pics as requested.
I only have pics for gearbox and rear diff as I went to dealer for oil & filter change.

Gearbox oil change.

Undo the bolt indicated by the arrows.

I have bought a clear tube from Homebase, cost ~
Old 10-15-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eho,

Thank you very much for the photos. It's going to be very helpful.

Just a few questions:

1. can you confirm that the bolts for the gearbox is on the passenger side?
2. how about the diff bolt?
3. lastly, what is restricting you from using gravity method to feed the diff?

Cheers,

Shawn
Old 10-15-2008, 01:42 PM
eho

Originally Posted by plastic91,Oct 15 2008, 10:25 PM
Eho,

Thank you very much for the photos. It's going to be very helpful.

Just a few questions:

1. can you confirm that the bolts for the gearbox is on the passenger side?
2. how about the diff bolt?
3. lastly, what is restricting you from using gravity method to feed the diff?

Cheers,

Shawn
1. yes, you access the gearbox bolts from the passenger side of the vehicle.

2. diff bolts, one is at bottom of diff, the other is facing the rear end of the car. (the last picture i posted is taken from the back of the car) i used a size 23 spanner to access it, as the rear sub frame is right next to the diff and my wrangle wont fit.

3. the hole for oil feeding is much higher than the side skirt of the car so natually i think the gravity feeding method would be difficult. a syphon pump made the job very easy.

Quick Reply: Oil change DIY