UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil change DIY

Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeez, its not as if we are putting together merlin spitfire engines in the war

I think people have got a bit hung up over it, FFS it only a filter. The FACT is filter has not come off in the last 3 years which has been changed every year FACT using the same procedure. I know many other people who do this. The day they fall off I'll come back on here and say yeah you were right a+ to you sir - cant see that happening though .

I guess your now going to tell me my doors (and anything else) will fall off the hinges in the house as i didnt tighten them to the manufacturers torque rating.

Job profession is different and we treat work differently you have to. I work in software so i know about attention to detail and x, y z.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Oct 13 2008, 04:23 PM
Jeez, its not as if we are putting together merlin spitfire engines in the war

I think people have got a bit hung up over it, FFS it only a filter. The FACT is filter has not come off in the last 3 years which has been changed every year FACT using the same procedure. I know many other people who do this. The day they fall off I'll come back on here and say yeah you were right a+ to you sir - cant see that happening though .

I guess your now going to tell me my doors (and anything else) will fall off the hinges in the house as i didnt tighten them to the manufacturers torque rating.

Job profession is different and we treat work differently you have to. I work in software so i know about attention to detail and x, y z.
How you tighten your filter is up to you. Its your car and you take the risk.

The point that a few of us are trying to make is that you shouldn't advise other people to hand tighten the oil filter as a number of people have lost filters and in some cases engines by hand tightening the filter.

Honda went to the effort of printing on every filter the correct procedure for fitting it to do away with the variability of how tight the filter needs to be and ensure that they don't come undone.

Just because you've got away with it doesn't mean that you should advise other people to do the same.

Let me put it this way, how do you define hand tight? If someone on here changes their filter, only tightens the filter hand tight, and then the filter comes off and they lose their engine after reading your how-to, are you prepared to take responsibility for that?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=lower,Oct 13 2008, 03:37 PM] How you tighten your filter is up to you. Its your car and you take the risk.

The point that a few of us are trying to make is that you shouldn't advise other people to hand tighten the oil filter as a number of people have lost filters and in some cases engines by hand tightening the filter.

Honda went to the effort of printing on every filter the correct procedure for fitting it to do away with the variability of how tight the filter needs to be and ensure that they don't come undone.

Just because you've got away with it doesn't mean that you should advise other people to do the same.

Let me put it this way, how do you define hand tight? If someone on here changes their filter, only tightens the filter hand tight,
Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 AM
eho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got pictures at home if you still need them. However I didnt change the oil filter myself after reading some thread about people lost their oil filter. I got local dealer to do it..I think it cost ~
Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

oh ouch, well we are DIY , so if it fails its down to the ameater mechanic so pays yer money and takes yer choice, you cant complain to yourself onyl kick your shin
Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

does wanking have a recommended torque value?

or is hand tight good enough

just thought I'd ask
Old 10-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by arsie,Oct 13 2008, 04:32 PM
does wanking have a recommended torque value?

or is hand tight good enough

just thought I'd ask
As long as you follow the torque rating printed on bellend your good to go
Old 10-13-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Oct 13 2008, 05:36 PM
As long as you follow the torque rating printed on bellend your good to go
Mine's worn off.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for all the replies and information. really appreciate it.

Eho, do you mind posting/sending the photos that you mentioned?

On a separate topic, i was wondering what is the safest way of jacking the car up? assuming i'm not using the central jacking points, only using the 4 sides jacking point, is it alright if i jack and place axle stand on one side before moving on to the other side (for instance, front right, rear right, front left rear left)
or is it safer to do (front right, front left, rear right, rear left).

i would think the first option will be more convenient since when you do the front right, the rear right will be partly lifted. But of course, this is not necessary the safest option. Any idea?

Also, anyone knows whether HAMP oil filter are suitable for s2000? I have quite a few left overs from my previous stock for my EG6, just wondering whether it'll be alright.

Cheers,

Shawn
Old 10-13-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Oct 13 2008, 02:12 PM
2. aviation
Probably a bad example that one Steve - The Hawker 800 is built without using any of the Manufacturing instructions at all! Oh, and they go on a principle of 'If it fits, it's fitted wrt to bolts/fastners! )

Most Airbuses are built using the brief outline of the MI, but the operators know FAAAAAAAAR more effective/more efficient proceedures than the guys who wrote them!

Just thought you might like to know

Quick Reply: Oil change DIY