UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil?!?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its just oil.it doesnt matter.tesco value oil would do the job.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
"A word of caution – You get what you pay for!

Below is an article written by John Rowland, Silkolene/Fuchs Chief R & D Chemist for 40 years.

Originally Posted by John Rowland

Costs of synthetics vary considerably. The most expensive are the “Ester” types originally only used in jet engines. These cost 6 to 10 times more than high quality mineral oils. The cheapest synthetics are not really synthetic at all, from a chemists point of view. These are in fact specially refined light viscosity mineral oils known as “hydrocracked”. These have some advantages over equivalent mineral oils, particularly in lower viscosity motor oils such as 5w-30 or other oils with a low “W” rating such as 5w-50 etc and they cost about 1.5 times more than good quality mineral fractions.

We use several different grades of this base oil, where appropriate. This is the “synthetic” which is always used in cheap oils that are labelled “synthetic”.

Yes it’s a cruel world, you get what you pay for!

Now, you may ask, why are these special mineral oils called “synthetic”?

Well, it was all sorted in a legal battle that took place in the USA about ten years ago. Sound reasons (including evidence from a Nobel Prize winning chemist) were disregarded and the final ruling was that certain mineral bases that had undergone extra chemical treatments could be called “synthetic”.

Needless to say, the marketing executives wet their knickers with pure delight!
They realised that this meant, and still does, that the critical buzz-word “synthetic” could be printed on a can of cheap oil provided that the contents included a few percent of “hydrocracked” mineral oil, at a cost of quite literally a few pence.

So, the chemistry of “synthetics” is complex and so is the politics!

The economics are very simple. If you like the look of a smart well-marketed can with “synthetic” printed on it, fair enough, it will not cost you a lot; and now you know why this is the case.

But, if you drive a high performance car, and you intend to keep it for several years, and maybe do the odd “track day”, then you need a genuine Ester/PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) synthetic oil.

This oil costs more money to buy, because it costs us a lot of money to make, very simply, you always get what you pay for!

This article is something that all car owners should read and understand before buying oil and I’ve posted this with Johns permission.

Cheers
Simon ""

Interesting.

I asked Fuchs for their recommendation for the S. They recommended Titan Fully Synthetic 5W-40.

So that's what I put in - and very happy I am with it as well.

Or at least I was - because, y'see, I can get 5L of it for more than a tenner cheaper than Halfords fully syn.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Now I see why people normally get told off for starting a "what oil to use" thread.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

Seems I've learned that lesson
Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I use Redline 10w30

It's the best thing ever.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Thats Fuchs stuff is misleading, you dont NEED anything.

"But, if you drive a high performance car, and you intend to keep it for several years, and maybe do the odd “track day”, then you need a genuine Ester/PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) synthetic oil."