UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil?!?

Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ogg2000
Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1326977952' post='21331411
So.... being efficient, and the angle of the dangle from top respected oil cheese...

Here's another from our own Oilman.

"A word of caution – You get what you pay for!

....Cheers
Simon ""

Anyway who makes Halfords oil? Its cetainly not a bunch of bored, spotty teenagers, dressed in yellow and black uniforms poised at the controls at an oil refinery....

D
I believe it's Comma.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1326976008' post='21331364
[quote name='MB' timestamp='1326974680' post='21331337']
No but I do work with 'oil' on a daily basis

Refining methods and specifications kind of go hand in hand.
So you may be more qualified at voicing oil quality, masses of experience of knowing the oil qualities from umpteen threads. A bit dissapointed MB in the ticking off i've received and the tone, no-one is saying its crap. Its different, I think you know that by intending not to use. Refining method are different, you only have to Blinking well Google it love.

Is it particularly good for a VTEC high revving engine? I don't think so. Hey everyone has choice

PM oilman to include a more detailed explanation, I know how efficient the answers tend to have to be on this site sometimes. And how awkward/sad it feels sometimes getting flamed by over-excited moderation. Makes you feel pretty unwelcomed, I have to say MB
Tony, apoligies if you have been upset by my comments. It wasn't a ticking off (man up ) However, what I take issue with generally, is Google engineering and stating of things as fact without maybe full understanding. It's how oil threads beome such a nightmare.

Things like "DON'T, whatever you do, buy Halford own stuff" and "Please don't ever use 0w oil, its far too thin and you may encounter problems after using for a while" I would assume you have in depth knowledge to back it up. What if the OP lives in the Shetland islands and it's winter, for example?!

I don't need to PM Oilman

In fact I rarely state my views on here as Si2k knows far more than most of us ever will, and he's the one to listen to. My own experience is not from the internet either, it's practical.
[/quote]

Its said, the way it would be said, to friends face to face. And I still stand by what i've said. Personally , i think the oil is only good enough for common beaters and reading what the top brass of Fuchs had to say, it tells the story of additives and the idiocy of people thinking its as good as a premium, more expensive refined oil. Ow is too thin for the engine,thats the general attitude. Mobil 1 gets slated for some reason... I guess theres facts to that.
You engineering types need to be coming along with meticulous oil burn calculations now... give it time (if anyone can be ar*ed to read that)
Old 01-19-2012, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by MB
Originally Posted by ogg2000' timestamp='1326980133' post='21331470
[quote name='s2k4tony' timestamp='1326977952' post='21331411']
So.... being efficient, and the angle of the dangle from top respected oil cheese...

....Cheers
Simon ""

Anyway who makes Halfords oil? Its cetainly not a bunch of bored, spotty teenagers, dressed in yellow and black uniforms poised at the controls at an oil refinery....

D
I believe it's Comma.
[/quote]

You believe... or Googled it?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesus guys, calm down!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by ogg2000
Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1326977952' post='21331411

....Cheers
Simon ""

That's a very well and good, apart from the rather trite "you get what you pay for".....

The problem is that you have way of knowing to any degree of certainty exactly what it is you're paying for, unless you are party to the oil manufacturers proprietary data.

In many cases you are certainly paying for a name and the associated advertising and sponsorship - does this make it better? (rhetorical question)
How do you determine reputation as a measure of quality? What's the diffrence between reputation, rumour and opinion?
Where are the data on controlled, objective tests that help the motorist make an informed decision? (another rhetorical question)

Surely the only thing you can have some level of certainty on is the specification asserted on the product. You then have to assume that the manufacturer is ethical and meeets the minimum specifications. I suggest this is the point that reputation should be considered.

D
If you market a non-high performance oil as being high performance...then it takes a short time to realize your product isnt good at all. Reputation based on quality, refinement, used in F1 cars, other applications for lubrication.

I guess the break down of all oils can be found on makers websites.
Oil needs regulation, the word Synthetic is what I have a problem with. You can buy oil thats terrible, but synthetic due to the above reasons that Mr John Rowland states.

We all drive a performance care here... if you use Halfords Oil then I'm betting that my Helix Ultra or Castrol Edge is to outlast a Halfords oiled F20C.
Over and OUT!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

an interesting comparison

At Halfords, Castrol Edge 5w40 is £32.79 for 4l (£8.20/l) and their own brand Fully Synth is £36.99 for 5l (£7.40/l)

Edge 5w40 specs
  • Grade: 5W/40
  • Oil Type: Fully Synthetic
  • Size (litres): 4.0
  • ACEA: C3
  • API: SM CF

Halfords specs
  • Grade: 5W/40
  • Oil Type: Fully Synthetic
  • Size (litres): 5.0
  • Petrol/Diesel: Both
  • API: SL CF
  • ACEA: A3 B3 B4
There is a difference in terms of specs but how much of a difference it actually makes is pure speculation.

FWIW, my 110,000 miler (and veteran of 30+ trackdays) has run on "whatever the dealer has put in", Shell Helix 10w40 semi-synth, Castrol Magnatec 10w40 semi-synth and Castrol Edge 5w40.

Just make sure that there is enough oil of a suitable grade in place, and you'll be fine.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
If you market a non-high performance oil as being high performance...then it takes a short time to realize your product isnt good at all. Reputation based on quality, refinement, used in F1 cars, other applications for lubrication.
( I can pour more petrol on this oil fire...)

What makes you think the oil you buy bears any relationship to the oils used in F1 racing?

The relationship is only implied by the sponsorship - you don't even know that the oil is actually supplied by the sponsor - its only implied.

Furthermore, racing conditions, especially in the extreme of F1,are of little relevance to road engines/use? For example, the lifecycle of racing engine oil is very different: duration of use , temperature cycles - I've no idea if these are relevant but they are certainly very different

Again I ask the rhetorical question: where is the objective, independent, comparative test evidence?

One thing is sure " you pays your money and makes your choice" whatever the basis of that decision is. What about colour? Duckhams used to be green, Honda used to be blue - are these better than amber oils or does the colouring just imply something special?

D
Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Blue oil would be awesome!!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 AM

Thursday pedantic-ness. Oggy do some research chap.. And post back :-)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 AM

OGGY OGGY OGGY....OIL OIL OIL

Quick Reply: Oil?!?