UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oh poo...!!! I broke my car.... :-(

Old 09-18-2003, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, done the same.

It was a wet night with lots of leaves. Put my foot down a bit too quick out of the corner, the back end came round and I ended up sliding sideways and backwards up a bank and into 3 saplings. One hit front wheel and damaged suspension, another hit the back wheel, damaging suspension again. However the crucial one was the one which git the sill under the driver's door. That one broke and went under the car, so the door wasn't damaged, meaning I walked away with not even a scratch or a bruise.

The car wasn't so lucky - final bill =
Old 09-18-2003, 05:46 AM

Now this I can understand. Wet night, leaves on the road, poor wet tyres (S02s) and extreme caution required.

I'm more concerned with: dry road + fairly low speed roundabout = spinning backwards. Unless MarkW was really taking the p1ss with the amount of power he was trying to get through the tyres whilst turning.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:05 AM
Ade

Sorry to hear about this Mark.

The more I hear about roundabouts the more careful I am.

I hope your car is back to its yellow best soon.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by neil_s2k
Old 09-18-2003, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I`ll regret saying this (coz i`ll probably wrap it now).

But after over a years driving of an 01, I`ve never had a roundabout moment. Or any other moment, apart from a small twitch on week one of ownership.

A drivers attitude is 95% to blame here. These cars do NOT crash themselves.

(When I say `here`, I`m not referring specifically to this guys unfortunate incident. I`m referring to S ownership in general).
Old 09-18-2003, 10:57 AM

I know that really.

Some of the threads on here really don't inspire confidence though, and it's easy to get paranoid.

Theres little chance that any modern car could get away with being dangerous with todays media spotlight - look at the A Class and the TT fiascos
Old 09-22-2003, 03:02 PM

Sorry to hear you bent your car Mark, any news on your repairs yet?

Lisa
Old 09-23-2003, 12:27 AM

Bad luck, hope you get it sorted quickly. At least u are ok.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:39 AM

Sorry to hear about that Mark. Make sure that the people doing the work have a 4 wheel alignment setup - if not then you should insist the car goes to a Honda dealer for an alignment check or failing that get it done yourself before accepting the car back.

To those of you who are worried about the handling of the car, this sounds like the common problem people have of over correcting a slight sideways moment and ending up amplifying the problem rather than correcting it. No criticism of Mark here, it's something 99% of drivers do and unless you are comfortable and used to the car going sideways, common.
As Lotusman says, it's not helped by less than positive steering feedback but most people's initial reaction to a sideways moment is to correct immediately - unfortunately usually this happens before they can make an accurate assesment of the amount of correction required and they over-correct (Which is what Mark himself said happened).

As I say, easily done (did the same in my X1/9 many years ago) and until you know the car and it's handling characteristics and are comfortable with the rear wheels sliding - entirely understandable.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:10 AM

one thing I noticed on the Keevil day is to a large extent the car will self correct anyway.....as a driver you just need to give it a guiding hand

I was getting quite lary slip angles on the day but rarely needed more than a 1/4 turn of opposite lock....

Quick Reply: Oh poo...!!! I broke my car.... :-(