UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oh Dear

Old 10-21-2004, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh Dear

Well, we had some awful weather here yesterday, lots of little rivers running across the roads, high winds etc and guess what's coming next?

Fell off the road at about 50 - back end got loose on a right hander cresting a hill, corrected the slide only to provoke a tank slapper The road was actually quite wide, but all to no avail - clouted a wall with my right rear and done quite a bit of damage there. It looks mostly superficial but the wheel is definitely at a most unusual angle and the exhaust has been destroyed on the right hand side.

Got to say, it's a combination of:

[EDITED]
LSD can be lethal in these situations
not enough practice at recovering from high(ish) speed skids on wet roads (where can you learn that?)

Before the comments come in about the S02s, a couple of thoughts - I have driven this stretch of road very regularly for many years in all sorts of cars (the last 3 and a half with the S) and weather conditions and I do respect the corner, though it's not 'slow'. While I can't argue my speed must have contributed to the spill on the basis that if I was going slower I wouldn't have had the problem, I was and still am completely surprised at how the car let go. I've had a few occasions when the back has come loose, but only at slow speeds and/or when it's been provoked. This was neither, the car was not revving highly or anything at the time. The other thing is I meant to put on my F1s last weekend on the grounds that "they are there and I may as well get the use out of them" but ran out of time, so didn't bother. Will never know if that would have made the difference (and don't intend doing a scientific experiment when the car is fixed just to find out).

Too miffed (and too busy today) to post any pics but may get round to it in a few days. In the meantime, I have to find a repairer (elephant don't have a preferred repairer here, so it's up to me apparently - maybe that's a good thing) and get used to driving a loaner for a month I guess
Old 10-21-2004, 03:11 PM

Sorry to hear this mate, glad you hear you weren't hurt though and take your car to someone who will give your baby some tlc

Don't forget the pics though
Old 10-21-2004, 03:13 PM
P 1

Sorry to hear this Brian. Hope you're O.K. Don't dwell on it, it doesn't achieve anything.

elephant don't have a preferred repairer here, so it's up to me apparently - maybe that's a good thing
Indeed. Choose your repairer carefully. It's your car, not Elephant's, and you have the right to send it where you prefer as long as the quote is reasonable.

Hope this all gets sorted for you
Old 10-21-2004, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what a bummer mate now you wiil have time to sort the dvds out ! from MM1 how many are there to do 55 or more!

What a shit, bloody wet rds,the S2000 is not that easy to correct at speed its just so quick to let go,and over correcting just throws it to the gods.

Main thing your ok.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:19 PM
MrV

gutted for ya

When are you going to post the pics
Old 10-21-2004, 03:19 PM

At least you're ok but sorry to hear that :hug:
Old 10-21-2004, 05:46 PM

I know its already been said, but I'm gutted for you as well. Can't imagine how I'd feel if my pride and job got damaged.

Just hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:08 PM

Old 10-21-2004, 11:35 PM

you know we do go on about how the car never really does let go when you don't expect it, but sometimes it clearly does (even for experienced drivers).

Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence .......
Old 10-21-2004, 11:40 PM

I know how you feel MB

Quick Reply: Oh Dear