UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oh Damn!! I don't believe this!!

Old 03-01-2003, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot all, the things I find difficult is the fact that wheel arches bulge out (to give that muscular appearance) are as wide if not slightly wider than the mirrors and are at risk from being scraped. Thanks for all the advice though, I think I may invest in trying a couple of ideas to help me park as I find it so hard to see where I am whilst in the car.

One idea involves wireless surveillance camaras!

Right well its nice weather today so I guess its going to be with some top down action

DuggE

Not lucky enough to have a garage myself but have heard similar stories, especially with brand new houses. In fact, for the next house I buy the number one priority will be to take my own tape measure and ask to have a look inside the garage.

Maybe you could put a large (well-positioned) sheet of sponge on the garage wall for the passenger side of the car. Then if you do catch it you won't scratch it!

Alternatively, keep your car on the drive and fill your garage up with:

- Hard top
- stand
- Selection of Zymol cleaning kits
- spare full size alloy plus tyre (so you never have to drive on a space-saver for very long)
- other things that I don't even know about yet 'cos I'm too new to this.

Good luck

Sorry to hear that, DuggE.

Blo***y builders - and planning authorities!

Meagre suggestions:
- You could gain an inch or two by flipping the passenger side mirror before driving into the garage.
- Cushion the driver side wall
- Try my technique when I am trying to position the car under my hardtop hoist - insulation pipe dangling from the ceiling - centred and distanced.
- Try my son's technique with his Elise - top off - climb out without opening door (remove shoes first!)

Don't have that problem - originally my house was built by local builder for himself - just goes to show - two cars and a load of junk.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by graybloke
[B]

er... sometimes
Old 03-01-2003, 11:37 PM

I expect that the Mini was used as a yardstick for garage dimensions during its full production lifespan. I've heard that only a small percentage of people use their garages for parking, the rest for storage, so practicality goes out the window.

My garage is also challenging, but once you've parked 20 or 30 times you develop a technique, and it becomes easier.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:20 AM

You think you have problems, try backing this bitch into a garage
Old 03-02-2003, 12:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Graham
Tip for the future.

1. Open up tailgate on Mits.
2. Back garage into Mits.
3. Close tailgate.

Use the beast AS the garage. It would be easier.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:44 AM

My dad has suspended a tennis ball on a string from the roof of the garage - when the ball touches the windscreen as he parks he knows the car is in far enough.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:32 AM

I sypathyse DuggE!!

Before I bought my S I was very concious of the fact that I had nowhere safe to put it so I looked around locally and found a garage to rent. Picked up car, drove round for a while then took it to my new garage. Although I reckon I could have just got it in, there was absolutely no way I could open the door once inside. I think it's actually quite funny now - especially as the garage rental people were understanding and gave me my money and deposit back - probably gave them a anyway.

As for the elements, mine lives outside now until I find a new house with a garage. He's hard
Old 03-02-2003, 07:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some thick carpet screwed to the wall where the driver's door swings out, makes life a hell of a lot easier!

Quick Reply: Oh Damn!! I don't believe this!!