UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oh blimey, that's done it...

Old 07-04-2010, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you need to do any cutting to fit the AEM? It was that potential fact tha pushed me to get the K&N. Am fitting it today, so will update accordingly.

Also, I've seen a few comments relating to water getting in to the AEM (hydrolock?) Irvatron - is this something that used to happen to your AEM?
Old 07-04-2010, 03:55 AM

I've had loads of K&Ns in the past on BMWs, Lexus, Golf R32 etc and they have always been well made and pretty easy to install with decent car specific instructions, so will be going that route
Old 07-04-2010, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by sound_wave,Jul 4 2010, 02:01 AM
Do you need to do any cutting to fit the AEM? It was that potential fact tha pushed me to get the K&N. Am fitting it today, so will update accordingly.

Also, I've seen a few comments relating to water getting in to the AEM (hydrolock?) Irvatron - is this something that used to happen to your AEM?
Great - let me know if you have any issues with fitting.

I'm slightly concerned that my Spoon strut brace might be an issue - it was a right pain in the bum getting the lid off the OEM airbox with the strut in place, and I can't seem to loosen the nuts to remove it
Old 07-04-2010, 04:01 AM

Ooh - just found it a smidgen cheaper here

http://www.performance-filters.co.uk/kn-57...14_p1513083.htm
Old 07-04-2010, 04:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Al_G,Jul 3 2010, 11:38 PM
hmmmmm so this one then:

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/aem...onda/s2000.html

will the AEM sound much better than the OEM with the airbox lid off (just wondering whether the £300 is justified)?

cheers
Alex
Either the K&N Fipk or AEM sound better than the airbox lid-off mod for sure! and dont suck in warm air either.

The AEM is definitely more difficult to fit than the FIPK, the Fipk took me 1hr30mins to fit but the AEM took around 5 hours to fit - but that's because i didn't take the bumper off.

Without opening a can-o-worms if the roads you drive on flood and you drive through flooded parts that reach almost halfway up your wheels i'd forget the AEM due to hydro lock.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:03 AM

Right, K&N is fitted. Took about 2.5 hours to fit, mostly because I was being super cautious, and some because this is the first time I've ever done anything like this.

I think the car now picks up slightly better from a standing start, and there is a little more pull through the rev range.

Once you hit VTEC... oh holy jesus, it sounds like an MG40 on heat!! Big grins all round, I think, and definitely worth the expense, and fitting / faffing time.

The only thing now, is to find something to fill the BIG void left by the OEM airbox!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:20 PM

Glad it went ok!

Have you got a pic of the finished install?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2010, 05:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sound_wave,Jul 4 2010, 04:03 PM
The only thing now, is to find something to fill the BIG void left by the OEM airbox!
Massive air horns?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sound_wave,Jul 4 2010, 05:03 PM
supercharger
Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by sound_wave,Jul 4 2010, 05:03 PM
Right, K&N is fitted. Took about 2.5 hours to fit, mostly because I was being super cautious, and some because this is the first time I've ever done anything like this.

I think the car now picks up slightly better from a standing start, and there is a little more pull through the rev range.

Once you hit VTEC... oh holy jesus, it sounds like an MG40 on heat!! Big grins all round, I think, and definitely worth the expense, and fitting / faffing time.

Can you run me through the install quickly, as in, does it:

- Require any cutting of bonnet etc?
- Require removing bumpers etc?
- Require any specific tools?

Sorry, I am sure this is covered somewhere else (FAQ?) but I've just sort of replied 'on the fly'.

Quick Reply: Oh blimey, that's done it...