UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Odd sound when in VTEC

Old 05-13-2008, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. I've just had a call from the Springfield service department to say one of the noises has been sorted - the irregular 'fizzing' sound. Apparently two vacuum hoses on a solenoid were transposed.

Very odd.

When the service manager (seems like a good guy BTW) accompanied me in the car this morning to demonstrate the odd sound in VTEC it didn't occur of course. Curse those intermittent faults.

The engine has only been 'touched' twice - first when the car had a new gearbox fitted mid last year and second, at the 12 month service last December.

I didn't VTEC the car on the way home in December and it hasn't really been used in anger until a week or so ago when I noticed the noise.

I pick-up the S later today, so once warmed I will give it a damn good thrashing.

PS The loaner was a brand new Jazz auto. My mum has one of these which I haven't driven for a while. They're still a class-act.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I like the CVT Jazz a lot more than the manual.

Actually, the 1.3 Jazz was better (peppier) than the depressing 1.4 Civic I recently had as a loaner; really felt I should have tried milking it instead of driving it.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw your car at the dealers Mark, they had it tucked out of harms way.

They reckon that the airbox has to come out to remove the gearbox, so they think that's when the pipes would've been swapped round.

Chris.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 AM

Chris

Thanks for the contact details at Springfield - Dave seems to know his stuff and is remarkably personable for someone in dealer servicing. I will most certainly let them carry out the next service.

I think I have may have sussed the harsh metallic sound that car makes in VTEC - and it's most likely what you guys mooted above. I drove the car for the first time this evening with the hood up and gave it some - the sound was much like it used to be... I'm totally amazed the engine sounds so utterly shite with the new bonnet and removal of the sound deadening! Musical the S engine is not.

I'm going to try installing the OEM sound deadening on the BC bonnet and if that doesn't improve the aural experience, the original bonnet is going back on. It really sounds that bad IMHO.

TTFN

Mark
Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like a tuned racing engine to me (one hears it on other cars on trackdays & stuff) and I like that sound.

But I like Gary Moore & Jack White, too. Wring that neck!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:43 AM
LTB

Originally Posted by Polemicist,May 13 2008, 03:08 PM
OK. I've just had a call from the Springfield service department to say one of the noises has been sorted - the irregular 'fizzing' sound. Apparently two vacuum hoses on a solenoid were transposed.

Very odd.

When the service manager (seems like a good guy BTW) accompanied me in the car this morning to demonstrate the odd sound in VTEC it didn't occur of course.
The highlighted bits will be more than enough to have Bassoctopuss falling on the floor with his sides splitting.

I'm glad that you are happy with the service received, but in the past Springfield have not be renowned for their technical prowess.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by LTB,May 13 2008, 07:43 PM
The highlighted bits will be more than enough to have Bassoctopuss falling on the floor with his sides splitting.

I'm glad that you are happy with the service received, but in the past Springfield have not be renowned for their technical prowess.

I know Neil's opinion of Springfield Honda, but chris111r rates them highly. I guess one has to speak as one finds.

They sorted my car painlessly on this occasion, so all credit to them.

The Springfield Newcastle branch weren't so good with my previous S - but people change and I guess sometimes you have to forgive and forget.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,May 13 2008, 11:38 AM
Sounds like a tuned racing engine to me (one hears it on other cars on trackdays & stuff) and I like that sound.

Ah, Gary Moore - the first concert I went to back in the late eighties.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,May 13 2008, 07:38 PM

I like the sound of tuned racing engines, but the sound of the S (mine at least) sans sound deadening is not a 'quality' sound. It sounds harsh.

But I like Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder, too. Sing that song!