UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Now I know why people love this car...

Old 06-22-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I know why people love this car...

I've had my S for 2 weeks now and although I've done plenty of straight line bombs on duel carriageways and "low top speed, high acceleration" things through town and whatnot and generally playing with the VTEC, tonight I had my first proper "blast" around some interesting roads.

My mum lives out in the Berkshire countryside (Ashampstead to be precise) and I live in Reading. And she's been badgering me about sorting out something on her PC for ages. So two birds with one stone kind of thing, make the old dear happy and have a nice country drive into the bargain.

Only I kind of hammered it on the way back Apart from one bit where I encountered a horse and, obviously, slowed down (and complained to the girl riding it that she was ruining my fun ), I managed to keep it in VTEC about 75% of the time until I hit Reading. A couple of times I felt the rear start to get a bit twitchy but nothing that lifting off the accelerator/brake a little (depending on what I was doing) didn't sort out.

I have never come across a car that dumps you out of the drivers door with the combination of a pounding heart, slightly wobbly legs and a soppy great grin on your face.

I think I can quite happily shuffle off this mortal coil now if it was so ordained. No complaints about life here now
Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 AM

I have had the S for a year and it still shocks me sometimes how well it handles.

I once did a drive along a road I now very well from near my parents home which I used to blast along quite happily in my previous Mk IV Golf Gti Turbo. Doing it for the first time in the S actally scared me as I was going so much faster and the car was handling so well and really taking it in its stride.......made my heart thumb.

Its a top car.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:04 AM

Great that you are enjoying the car but be careful about lifting off and breaking mid corner
Old 06-22-2005, 11:09 AM

It was more accelerating early and braking late than anything else

Think I need to go on a training day. Never used to drive like this. Ahem
Old 06-22-2005, 12:59 PM

I just love throwing mine around. you can be so gutsy on ce it has become a true extension to your feet. It can still be a little cheeky sometimes but adds to the fun.

What gets me is all the boxter talk in the office, so many plain old basic boxter drivers and the odd S driver (inc the new faster version), they have fun sure but dont realise how much their cars are driving them around, rather than them driving the car.

Without going too far off topic tonight I did laugh though, close to mine in sainsbury car park was an 05 Box S in black and my g/friend walked over to it thinking it was my car. YELP! Though I gotta say it did look awesome, had evey option going and a fantastic set of wheels on it. Yeah I would have swapped, flogged it and then bought an S and a beater
Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 PM

[QUOTE=grahamb,Jun 22 2005, 11:09 AM]Think I need to go on a training day.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by nickrg3,Jun 22 2005, 09:59 PM
my g/friend walked over to it thinking it was my car.
...Have a word geezer!!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.1stlotus.co.uk
Andy will astound you with what the S can do
and then teach you to do it for
Old 06-22-2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ready S2k,Jun 22 2005, 10:05 PM
I'll join you on that!!

You'll need to let me know your good roads - going North of Reading is spoilt by Oxon's daft 30 limits through the fields

B3349 to Hook is ace - but that's got a 50 limit...
West of Junction 12 and north of the A4

Bradfield, Upper Basildon, Yattendon, Ashhampstead, that kind of area. All NSL stuff. Be better in the winter though as there's a lot of vegetation around obscuring the surrounding area/road around the next bend etc.

Actually...the road that leads from Pangbourne across the Downs to Harwell/Didcot/Wantage...I think that might be NSL. It's got great sweepy bits (technical term) and bends but the whole things lined with low hedges so you can see quite a long ways ahead.

Think I might check that out tomorrow

And ta for the suggestion mikey
Old 06-22-2005, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the airfield day in Essex!

Quick Reply: Now I know why people love this car...