UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Notes on windscreen for parking in someones slot

Old 12-12-2003, 11:01 PM
ADP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notes on windscreen for parking in someones slot

So weve all had one, parked in someone elses slot when desperate for a place to park.

So, I share a house with 3 people, but last night our drive was full(girlfriends staying over). So my housemate decides to park in a slot opposite our house. Its 1 of 2 slots that are bricked , now it doesnt say whose they are anywhere, but weve always assumed they belong to one of the "assisted purchase scheme houses/council houses" over the way. Anyway, my mate parks in it tonight and this morning at 7am on my way to work I see hes got a note ---

"This parking space is for cars at no.35, dont use again, WILL BE TOWED"

WTF!!!! No one minds getting a note, but "WILL BE TOWED" not very neighbourly for a 1st time offender is it? how does fck off tow my car and Ill have you for criminal damage/theft/whatever I can do you for?

Really puts your back up that kind of note. Anyone know where you stand if they did tow your car? ie could you call the police etc??

Andy
Old 12-13-2003, 12:12 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry Andy - no sympathy from me.

The slot quite obviously:

a) belonged to someone else
b) didn't belong to your mate

I'd say he was lucky to get away with a note. Plenty of people have found their cars vandalised in similar circumstances.

Simple remedy - find a street space and walk.

Sorry I can't be more sympathetic.

Old 12-13-2003, 12:26 AM

No sympathy from me really although the threat to tow is a little silly; obviously emotion getting the better of whoever wrote the note.

I had someone park in my allocated space when i came back late one night. I firstly tried ot establish to whom the car belonged so i could go and bang on the door and ask them politely to move. When i could'nt find out i wrote a note saying that the space was allocated and owned by me and would they kindly refrain from parking there again.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:09 AM
ADP

Ok

I dont have a problem that my mate got a note on his windscreen, although we genuinely had no idea if these slots were "officially anyones" though I suspected they were - he deserved the note, sure.

BUT............................................... Its the fact that people find the need to say things like "or well tow it away" I mean FFS, they are people living in our street, not people we are at war with. So basically, they have got off on the wrong foot as far as Im concerned....................what would happen maybe if for example they needed to jump start there car and asked to borrow some jump leads, a cup of sugar or whatever.....................do they think Im going to say " Oh yes ofcourse??"

I just think people should try the softly softly approach before going in all guns blazing.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:41 AM

sorry-no sympathy here

how did they know it was one of your cars? did you put a sign in your car saying "at number 10" so they could have come to your door and politely asked you to move it??

they have paid for the space in one way or another have they not when they purchased the house??

andy-I seem to recall you complaining about someone elses parking on your street-you can't have it both ways can you
Old 12-13-2003, 01:56 AM
ADP

losing this one arent I?

It wasnt my car.

They 100% know where the car lives normally(but that isnt the point). And there were plenty of spaces also available, it was purely my flat mate being lazy......like I say he deserved the note - I too would have put a note on his screen.

Im not pissed off or anything about my mate getting a note, like I say the thing that gets my goat is they went for the "will be towed away" line straight away and that saying things like that doesnt bode well for future good relations IMO. It just annoys me that people take the confrontational approach straight away, Ive always been a firm beleiver that trying a more friendly approach first is best. Sure if someone parked in your slot more than once, youd be right to get a bit more full on.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:13 AM

Confrontation in neighbourly situations is never very sensible!!

Recently moved house and while handing over keys, the previous owner mentioned that in addition to the allocated space that comes with the house, there was a friendly agreement with neigbours that a cul de sac turning could be used as parking. So my girlfriend started parking her car there.

A week later while moving her car, the neighbour adjacent to the cul de sac, came out with a 'knickers in a twist' type of attitude and straight away stated that did i know that my lease said i couldn't park there etc. First thing i did was allow him to vent his frustration then said "Hi i'm from #, pleased to meet you"! The civilised attitude surprised him as i could sense he was keen to capitalise on an opportunity to assert his small mindedness.

Anyway i left agreeing to move the car but a little annoyed. Spoke with girlfriend and decided that we would get our own back in a more sutle and measured way. So everytime we saw a car park in the same spot, we would knock on his door and point out the infringement and state how bad we also thought it was!! After a couple of visits, you could see him thinking ", are these nutters going to knock on my door every time someone parks there?!?!?"

On the third knock on his door, he relented and said "I think it'll be fine if you park there"!! Girlfriend and I got back to ours !!

Moral of the story, try and approach neighbourly disputes with a sensible and diplomatic attitude. After all empty vessels make the most noise!!
Old 12-13-2003, 02:13 AM

I think "will be towed" is a bit strong for a first offfence - a polite note is enough.

Repeat offences may involve letting down tyres etc

This is going to be a regular problem for me soon - the development across the road has barely enough spaces, but we have loads (which is good because I normally have space either side of my S and don't have to worry about it getting dinged) - yet another development is going up nearby, and they won't have enough spaces so the overspill is going to affect me .

It really pi$$es me off that people think its no problem to park in empty spaces that don't belong to them - would they like us to use their living room for a party if they weren't using it?

At least you don't have the local authority trying to steal your spaces -

the council here has suddenly decided that it will adopt a whole load of spaces (which we thought we paid for, and have been maintaining ourselves for the past 7 years) for its public controlled parling zone plans.

Bar steward councillors - just do what they want
Old 12-13-2003, 02:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by euan
It really pi$$es me off that people think its no problem to park in empty spaces that don't belong to them - would they like us to use their living room for a party if they weren't using it?
Old 12-13-2003, 02:20 AM
ADP

Seems to be quite a common problem.

We live on a new development, the problem being firstly that there seem to be about 3 or 4 cars at every house. This generally means that cars are spilling out onto the road.

Now actually there seems to be a fair amount of free space on the road, however, people including my lazy house mate still want to park in spitting distance of the house and like I posted the other day our neighbours decided to park in a really dumb place blocking the road.

Builders really need to start allowing 2 car spaces per flat and well big 3/4 car drives for houses and ample visitors spaces. Cars are disposable items these days, you can get one for

Quick Reply: Notes on windscreen for parking in someones slot