UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

notchy gearbox

Old 02-18-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default notchy gearbox

Hi, had my s2k for 5 weeks. Had a 57 plate type r from new previously. Stunning car, it has a quality the type r could only dream of. Just feels very special ..... love seeing the wings/bonnet out front .... well the right wing .... I'm only 5'6 so can't see the left one :-). The Type r had nice seats BUT everything else felt quite cheap to me, not in the S2K ...... maybe a little dated but it does seem quality.

Anyway, I have one gripe, one of the cars highlights is it's gearbox apparently, the typr r was good .......I'm finding the gearbox not very smooth at all.

I'm thinking that my short journeys 4-5 miles to work at low revs are part of the issue ........ on the odd longer journeys it starts to become a bit smoother. It's not grinding as such BUT sort of feels a bit like grinding at times.

1st to 2nd is very noticeable BUT also 2nd to 3rd often feels like it has a double notch (like my Type r before it but which was sorted under warranty). I used to find myself thinking it was going into 3rd but in fact it hadn't engaged and I'd just end up revving the engine whilst in neutral.

Can anyone advise a solution to a smoother action? I think I read on a the US side that there are different oils/fluids that can make it smoother .... is this correct?

Is changing at such low revs part of the issue? ... given it's intended to be revved and I'm pottering around most of the time and changing gear at less than 3k.

Does it need a really positive push and get the revs up a bit? I remember my R6 Yamahs bike used to prefer changes higher up the revs and around town it wasn't very smooth ..... my civic was good especially once the 3rd gear issue (a known warranty issue) was sorted.

It's a 56 plate with 42k on the clock

cheers
Paul
Old 02-18-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I once had an Evo VI, with the wrong oil in the gearbox it was nearly impossible/very difficult to select a gear, so I can definitely say the oil is very important, I would say that its your starting point.

Hope its not the syncros though.

Edit: Noticed your comment about shifting at low rpms, I find my car easy to down shift at low RPM's and same for up shifting, not the way you mention.

It could be your way of engaging the gear? Do you use throttle during engaging the gear? At low rpm's with a sudden throttle you can feel the backlash of the differential which could be something that you're describing?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It takes pratice to drive it slowly. Try slowing down the change. It feels grate at the other end of the rev range even better when warm ,yours wont be getting warm at all ,after a hour the stick feels warm and all is good.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer s2000,Feb 18 2011, 02:57 PM
It takes pratice to drive it slowly. Try slowing down the change. It feels grate at the other end of the rev range even better when warm ,yours wont be getting warm at all ,after a hour the stick feels warm and all is good.
Yeah, been thinking I need to take it as a 2 step process if that makes sense, get it our of gear then move up ....... I do think with the car not really getting upto temperature plus lots of low rev changes in low gears (slow speeds) it's possibly the main culprit.... I know what you mean about the stick feeling warm .... on a longer run it did feel like it was less harsh/notchy and more comfortable if that makes sense.

Just feel like it's getting a bit tiresome which is disappointing .... I need to get it on some decent roads and get the revs up a bit more to see how it goes ... I'm off next week :-)
Old 02-18-2011, 02:40 PM

Think like this the car was not ment to be driven like that so on your week off give it a good clear out .Had mine over 5 years weekend car killed 0ne diff . HUGE tip when you miss second gear the box gets stiff then frees up after a couple mins .
Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 PM

i would check the clutch master cylinder fluid level as it sounds asthough the clutch isnt fully disengaging, sometimes they can leak a little and it shows in the drivers footwell up behind the clutch pedal. worth a check
Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM

Wow this sounds familiar to me !

Check out 'crunchy box' thread last year !

I've had mine a year next month, I had loads of advice from moving through the box slower to different oils etc.

It still crunches... but WAY less often. I hate to admit it but the advice is sound.. just get used to your box.

Don't get me wrong, mine still crunches 2nd-3rd occasionally but most often when doing low speeds with very slow changes. Bloody annoying it is too but a small price to pay for a glorious car
Old 02-18-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer s2000,Feb 18 2011, 03:40 PM
HUGE tip when you miss second gear the box gets stiff then frees up after a couple mins .
You suggesting I change from 1st to 3rd and it will loosen it up after a few minutes?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short journeys don't give the gearbox oil chance to warm up properly. After 20mins or so it'll be slicker than a greased weasel.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Second to 3rd is like a flick of the rist lol.

Quick Reply: notchy gearbox