UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Not getting the s2000 any more

Old 11-29-2004, 02:45 AM
usy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not getting the s2000 any more

hi people.

i have been a reader on here for the last couple of weeks.
i had decided to get an s2k as my next car, this was before i really did any research on the car.

i found this site and have been reading up regularly, i was convinced the s2k was the one for me.

but, how frightening are all these crashes !!!

i even had bought a private plate last week readt to go on the s2k - tintops crash has made up my mind, these care sound like seriously wild machines.

whats the point of having a fast car if you cant experience it now and then i ask myself?

the amount of people reporting crashes, and snapping in the wet in these cars is unbeliavable - so, i think i have changed my mind, probably will go for an evo 8 now - at least i will know im safe in that in wet or dry, and i wont lose my no-claims!

i currently drive a crx vtec,fwd at around 170bhp, very stable in wet or dry, i enjoy hearing vtec nearly every day and i just dont think tat i will be able to have a bit of speed with the wet season now here.

anyone want to convince me to change my mind?

or anyone want to buy my s2k plate , s200O UA !
Old 11-29-2004, 02:50 AM
Banned

Depends on your point of view. If you want to drive fast in the wet, it's not the best car to do it in, that's for sure. But I don't think it's a deathtrap either.

I do 400 miles a week across really crappy roads and haven't had any major mishaps yet. If I were less careful and tried to race every FWD hatch on the go then I would undoubtedly have written it off by now.

But during the summer with the roof down, VTEC blasting and those admiring glances you're guaranteed to get, there are few better cars to enjoy.

Just drive calmly and conentrate on your driving and you'll be fine.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:51 AM

I've said it many times before but it's worth saying again - the S2000 is no worse than any other lightweight RWD roadster with very little in the way of driver aids. The car is NOT a death-trap - accidents don't just happen. Mostly, there is a lesser or greater degree of driver error somewhere in there; sometimes, there may well be external factors which intervene. Very rarely, there is a mechnical failure.

You won't be able to drive along at full tilt in the S during the winter in the same way as you would in an Evo VIII, so if that's what you want it's a much better choice. But it's a more involving drive than the Evo, I'd warrant.

There's a thread listed on the "important threads" stuck at the top of the board full of tips about winter driving - read the comments there before you make up your mind. If you show the car the respect it deserves and are judicious in your use of your right foot whilst it's cold and/or wet, you'll be fine.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll be able to have two light crashes a year in the S2000 & still have change to cover the cost of servicing/ petrol in the EVO 8.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If its your daily drive, I think you're making the right choice. I`ve said it on here a lot, tonnes disagree but believe me, for a daily car they are an annoyance at times.

Get one + a beater, or go Evo or Sub, or big german smoothmobile.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with MT. And, the great thing about the S2000 is that you can choose whether to hit that VTEC or not. The car is quite docile at low revs (not like similar cars with high torque which are going to be quite a handful even if you are trying to drive carefully).

I use mine as a "fun car" only and don't have to take it out in all weathers. If I had to use it as a "daily driver" I would change the tyres to ones that clear water better, but that may compromise the dry grip (which won't hurt it will just reduce the "fun factor"). That is the only thing I would recommend if you are going to use the car every day (at least one of the recent accidents was due to aquaplaning - whereas I wouldn't be driving my car in weather like that, if you will then change the tyres maybe).

Don't let these recent stories put you off buying a sublime car.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:09 AM

Don't be a chicken sh1t!!!

The S is a great car, heck 240BHP through the rear tyres is gonna bite in the wet if you drive like a tit!

Great words spoken by someone on this board which I use as my motto when I go for a spin in my car is.......................................

THESE CARS DON'T CRASH BY THEMSELVES!!!!!!

Go get one!

G
Old 11-29-2004, 03:10 AM

I have had my S for six months now and have loved every moment of it. The car is not as scary as you have read in the posts there can be a lot of mitigating reasons for their behaviour.

Aftermarket wheels, performance enhancing add ons etc

Even I have had to learn respect moving from front to rear wheel drive and learning that on a wet road overtaking something in 2nd when the vtec kicks in the back may 'squirm' around as the back end is trying to break free but luckily lift of the gas and it's under control and then but your toe down again just a little bit gentler.

None of this puts me off the car as it is truly fantastic, on a daily basis I drive 30 mile on norfolk back roads that farmers seem to delight in leaving a thick layer of mud on, ok I have had a couple of buttock clenching moments when I have come round a corner to discover mud on the road and how the hell am I gonna slow down and turn into the next bend. But the same could be said for any car.

OK the Jordan has similar power to your current stead and yes being front wheel drive you can get the power down earlier but even on the road round me the front wheels would spin on certain road surfaces in the wet and trying to get traction was a nightmare on some of the hills......yes I know but there are hills in Norwich.

I just can't put into words the fun I have had in the last six months at first I thought it was too small - the cabin crampt but having got used to it. I was just thinking the other day about the deliberations about buying one and I am so glad I decided to buy one, I love every aspect of it.

The vtec experience in the 'S' is just wow and it does the same every time it kicks in. The guy I bought my 'S' off imported a new 'teggie' and sold it within a month as it was'nt involving and has now got an EVO, It's very thirsty comapred to the 'S' but still an involving drive but I think he will be swapping it for another 'S' shortly.

If you drive the car on a regular route on a daily basis you get to know what you can and can't get away with in the weather conditions. I certainly would take it easier on roads that I don't know like the back of hand.

Then when the summer comes and you 'drop the top' you will never regret it for a moment and it's worth taking the care in the winter.

gosh, hope I got my point across-

BUY ONE - You wont regret it...............
Old 11-29-2004, 03:12 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

troll

don't indulge him
Old 11-29-2004, 03:12 AM

The S is a fun car - no doubt about it. To be "fun", it can't be glued to the road - it would defeat the object... for this exact reason, you'd find it more fun than the Evo. However, a "fun" car can be good or bad depending on your viewpoint:

Fun on a warm sunny day with the roof down - or in any weather on a track - is one thing, and this car will give it in bucket loads.... having to drive in pouring rain/snow is fun too (the same sort of fun as watching a baby pick up a razor blade). Is that the sort of "fair weather fun" you want?

For these reasons (I am clearly biased) the S stays in the garage for most of the winter and we drive the other car. Come the summer, the roles are reversed . If it's your daily drive though, I'm with CC.

Quick Reply: Not getting the s2000 any more