UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is this normal or common?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal or common?

As part of the ongoing gearbox issues I've been seeing since my 27k mile service I've had the car back to Honda several times now.

Firstly they acknowledged there to to an issue, likley the bearings, and so received authorisation from the big H to strip the box and replace all bearings.

Stripping the box only seemed to move the problem; ie, the metalic whine (metal rubbing on metal) was eased off in 2nd, 4th and 6th but then I started getting the same type of metallic whine in other gears.

The best way I can describe the sound is if you imagine a length of circular section steel such as a piece of scaffold, that's rotating with a piece of metal rested against it.

Anyway, as I say I've since been back to my dealer who tells me its normal vut I'm certain it isnt normal as it never made these sounds prior to the 27k mile service.

One thing that is apparent and to me screams out theres something wrong is that when stationary and in neutral, the sound is really apparent, but when I dip the clutch it goes away.

If anyone can give me ideas here I'd very much appreciate it as I'm at a bit of a loss what with the dealer telling me there's nothing wrong and that its all normal.

I'm thinking of taking the car to another Honda dealer buit am wondering how that will work as my local dealer has done the gearbox strip so I'm wondering how HUK would see it if one dealer says its all normal and I go elsewhere.

It really ruining the car for me knowing that something is wrong with the drivetrain.

Can warranty work be carried out by an independant; I'm thinking Rob at GarageR is my best port of call atm.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:47 AM
MIP

It doesn't sound normal to me. Unless the new bearings are noisy while they're bedding in (though I wouldn't have thought so)? I guess you'll want to do a gearbox oil flush a few hundred miles after the initial work maybe. Just guessing though.

There's a small amount of transmition noise on mine when I bring the clutch in in neutral (I suspect this is from the clutch). You can't hear it anymore over the new exhaust though...

Maybe there's somone near you who can take you for a drive, or maybe you should ask the dealership to take you for a test drive in another s2k to prove it. I wouldn't go to another dealer, keep the pressure up on the same one, and complain at honda UK. I'd be tempted to insist your not satisfied (to honda UK) and suggest a replacement gearbox entirely.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 AM

does it go away as soon as you put any load on the clutch pedal? if so it sounds like a noisy clutch thrust bearing
Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 AM

Yes I think it does vanish as soon as I begin to depress the clutch.

My dealer recently replaced parts of my clutch after it failed; I've just checked the warranty invoice and it states that the release bearing was replaced.

The 3 parts itemised that they replaced were :-

Release bearing
Pressure Plate
Friction plate

After the above bits were replaced the clutch was fine with none of these noises I'm getting now.

Just spoken to HUK and theyve suggested I get a second opinion at another dealer so I'll be doing that.

Thanks everyone
Old 02-25-2010, 07:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Feb 25 2010, 04:03 PM
does it go away as soon as you put any load on the clutch pedal? if so it sounds like a noisy clutch thrust bearing
That would be the other way around.

If its noisy with clutch engaged and in neutral, its the input shaft bearings in the box, or clutch rattling.
Noisy with pedal down then its probably the release bearing.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Feb 25 2010, 04:06 PM
If its noisy with clutch engaged and in neutral, its the input shaft bearings in the box, or clutch rattling.
I noticed mine was noisier with clutch pedal up and in neutral than with clutch pedal down, so it's quite common I guess?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Feb 25 2010, 05:06 PM
That would be the other way around.

Yes that's right; with the clutch engaged in neutral it makes the metalic rubbing sound, as soon as I put pressure on the clutch pedal the noise vanishes.

Just how loud is yours Lovegroova? Is it really obvious or do you really have to listen for it? Mines really obvious and it never used to be.

Anyone else have this metallic sound when in neutral with clutch engaged (ie, with foot nowhere near clutch pedal )
Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

There can be a couple of usual suspects;

The thrust bearing may be loose, especially if the clutch diaphragn spring is getting weak, and it's chattering. Light pressure on the clutch pedal should SITFU.

If it only goes away with the pedal fully depressed (obviously tailing away as the GB input shaft slows to a standstill) then it's the input shaft bearing that's getting loose. Turning up the volume fixes it, until such time as it gets really bad, or other cogbox issues suggest it's time for a rebuild.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat,Feb 25 2010, 08:26 AM

Anyone else have this metallic sound when in neutral with clutch engaged (ie, with foot nowhere near clutch pedal )
ive never heard an obvious noise from mine
Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 AM

Thanks eveyone, At least I'm armed with some info now and will take the car to another dealer for a second opinion.

I just wish Honda had authorised a new box rather than a strip tbh, would probably have resolved it and in the end cost the big H less money if I now end up needing the box ripping apart a second time

Quick Reply: Is this normal or common?